Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deepakumar

Handling Large Data Sets

Hello! I am pretty new to Power BI and I am looking for advice on best practices. We are attempting to use Power BI to report our largest set of data which is around 60 GB and it's hosted in azure SQL. And we have more than 600 tables in our database. I want to know which option is most suitable for us, whether we have to use direct query or import query? 

When we are using Power BI Desktop it's downloading all data to local system. Is there are any option to limit that, so we can get part of the data to power BI desktop to design the report. Because it takes hours to import data to the. pbix file.

2 REPLIES 2
rajeev
Frequent Visitor

Hi deepakumar,

Imo, since your data is voluminous, you could store the data in SSAS cubes (although this will introduce a new product in your solution i.e. SQL Server).

you could then use PowerBI as a visualization tool.

We are working extensively with such a solution where we deal with datasets of millions of rows. Another advantage is that the entire modelling can be centrallized to the server and PowerBI will only contain the visualization layer which will just be a couple of mb in size.

Thanks,

Rajeev.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @deepakumar,

There is 1 GB dataset limitation for Import mode(If this limitation is hit, the report cannot be published to Power BI service). However, the 1 GB dataset limitation does not apply to DirectQuery. So you may need to use DirectQuery in your scenario. 

In addition, filtering rows option in Power Query or importing Data from Database using Native Database Query can also be used to limit the data used in Power BI. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors