Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mojoyoyo
Frequent Visitor

HIVE ODBC: Can't Connect to Data Source

Hi, 

I've created a report in PBI Desktop using data from a Hive table that I access using ODBC with a system DSN.

I've also set up a gateway on the same server that I've used to refresh other datasources (so I know the gateway setup is correct). 

However, when I publish my report using data from the Hive table, I'm unable to connect to the datasource through the gateway to refresh the datasource. As stated above, I'm using a system DSN and there are no problems querying the Hive table locally using a kerberos ticket. 

I recieve the following error message: 

DEV01_GW: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [MapR][DriverSupport] (1170) Unexpected response received from server. Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct.

Anyone has any idea what might be wrong? I've already played around with changin the privacy level, clearing permission, etc., but nothing seems to work.

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @v-yinliw-msft,

We managed to solve it by running the gateway application as a service under my own UID on our windows server.

Thank you so much for the help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mojoyoyo
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yinliw-msft ,

The DSN I'm using is a system DSN:

mojoyoyo_0-1666251621409.png

This DSN is working fine locally, but we can't update the datasource on service. Is there something wrong with the gateway-config then?

Thank you!

Hi @mojoyoyo ,

Could you please check the gateway is the new version?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

Hello @v-yinliw-msft,

We managed to solve it by running the gateway application as a service under my own UID on our windows server.

Thank you so much for the help!

v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mojoyoyo ,

This error is caused by the system DSN, please create a System DSN to points to your data source in in ODBC administrator, then add the ODBC data source under gateway. When adding a ODBC data source under gateway, make sure you enter the same connection string as that you get in Power BI Desktop.

You can refer to a similar case as follows:

Solved: Re: Personal Gateway X On Premises Gateway - Microsoft Power BI Community

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors