Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

John7412

Government Use of PowerBI

Can you give me any additional information on the restriction on .gov email accounts? I am in a state agency and have a substantial investment in the Microsoft BI products but we use a .gov email format which is not allowed in PowerBI. You say they are not supported “at this time”. Will they be supported in the future and can you give me any idea of when? If Microsoft’s plan is to not support government clients like us then I need to know so I can start looking at other products.

Also, I have seen that you are partnering with Pyramid Analytics to allow on site deployment of PowerBi workbooks. Do you know if an end user in that scenario would have to have a login to PowerBI to view dashboards deployed in that manner. I am wondering if that may be a way of using PowerBi without having people sign up.

If this should be directed somewhere else please point me to the correct place.

24 REPLIES 24
HelloWorld1
Frequent Visitor

if you are convenient to tell me how I should register the Power BI US government account .

because I do not find the first screenshot page link on https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-govus-signup/

Looking forward to you reply ,thank you very much.

Try https://www.microsoftevents.com/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x741969fc0 and sign-up for a G5 trial which includes Power BI

power BI is now open for Governemtn but you gotta ask your Account Manager to move you to the US GOV cloud:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-govus-signup

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-govus-overview

sagreda44

I am hoping to have an update on the GCC status as I have government end users that I wish to apply PowerBI as a solution.

There is currently no change to status.

Power BI is not yet available for the Government Community Cloud.

Your Microsoft sales/partner representative has access to a confidential roadmap deck which can be shared with organizations that have a Non-Disclosure Agreement with Microsoft.

Has there been any update to this?

Hi Gilles,

The status remains the same. I do encourage you to contact your Microsoft Sales Rep as they do now have some trial options they can discuss with you.

Haydn

I can't wait to start streamlining all the reports we do for the VA Informatics and Computing Infrastructure (VINCI) in support of all the great medical research done in support of making our Veteran's lives better using the largest medical database in the world. Make this a priority please.

usafmjscott

Hello there.     I dont work for Microsoft, but I know what they have told me.   There are no immediate dates/plans for .GOV and .US as of right now.    You can utilize Pyramid Analytics right now - with your Microsoft BI Stack, without waiting for Power BI.    Once SQL 2016 is released, you will be able to publish from the Power BI Desktop -> Pyramid Analytics Server ON-PREM.   As Pyramid is the on-prem offering for Power BI.

haydnr
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Power BI does not currently meet the Trust Center promises for the Government Community Cloud. We do intend to offer a Government Community Cloud version of Power BI and are working to get there as quickly as we can, but we have no projected timing to share at the moment. As a result, to prevent inadvertent mixing of Power BI and Government Community Cloud tenants, individual web sign-up is currently blocked for users with *.gov and *.mil addresses. State agencies can access government pricing for commercial (non Government Community Cloud) Power BI offers deployed to non Government Community Cloud tenants. Non government community cloud tenants with *.gov and *.mil addresses can be established by an admin with DNS rights to the domain for which the tenant is created.

The Pyramid Analytics offering works on pbix files created by the Power BI Desktop and as such is not connected to the Power BI service and hence does not require Power BI service licensing or sign-up.

I'd encourage you to stay in touch with your Microsoft sales representative so that you will be aware of upcoming government offers as they become available over the coming months.

Any update on this front? 🙂

We are actively working on this but we still have no timing to share at this time.

It will be at least another month before we might be in a position to share possible options and timing.

Your patience is appreciated.

Are there any updates on the progress of PowerBI for government users?

Not at this time. We are actively working on this and I hope that we will have something to share in the New Year.

Haydnr,

Might you be able to at least confirm that Power BI will be compatible with the GCC? This solution could save my organization a lot of money and we are very excited to be able to provide this service to our end-users.

It'd go a long way (for planning purposes) if we knew for a fact that it was coming, versus finding out in a few months that this functionality wasn't going to be compatible with the GCC.

Of course, if you have a tentative release date for us after the New Year I'm sure everyone would be OK with that as well 🙂

We are actively working on a GCC offer for Power BI. The only open question is the timing of availability.

Awesome... thanks! 🙂

Haydnr,

I heard a scary rumor yesterday in a conference call with some government colleagues that Power BI for the GCC might be pushed back into 2017. Is there any credence to this rumor?

-Steve

Timing is not public so I can't comment one way or the other. If you have an NDA with Microsoft you can get access to the NDA roadmap deck with the dates via your Microsoft sales rep.

Please let us know when things are public.  I'm a MS partner that sells exclucively to the public sector.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors