Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Google Sheets failing to refresh, downloaded data is HTML

I have a host of lookup tables in Google Sheets that I connect to in Power BI desktop via web. The sheets are published to the web as excel workbooks and tis process has been working fine up until today when I started receiving this error message for all reports containing Google Sheets

Processing error: The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server.
Cluster URI:
Activity ID: 3a3bcefd-cbea-4f58-9366-a6185dbe639d
Request ID: 170f680c-049f-4985-9034-69a7a6c2dae2
Time: 2020-11-18 15:11:29Z


I went into Power Query and the file is set to open as an excel workbook but the error persists. Any ideas?



Frequent Visitor



Were you able to figure out your issue???

I am facing the same issue right now and cant get it refreshed via Power BI (Online)...


If you could let me know, that would be great!

New Member

Interestingly enough, If you press "Share" and grant "Editor" to anyone with the link or to a specific account It'll fix the problem for the published to the web documents. At least it worked for me.




Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue. Multiple PowerBI reports connected to Google Sheets via Publish to Web (Excel Document). I found you can reconnect by Publish to Web -> Embed -> Use the URL within the <iframe> but, for me, that leads to a lot of rework in the Query Editor as the table does not come in the same. If I had just one report, okay, but upwards of 10 each with multiple data sources and that leads to a lot of tedious work.


Also, have found in another thread that if you update the sharing permissions to anyone with the link, it works again? However, that causes potential data privacy issues.


Let's hope this gets resolved soon.

Not applicable

I'm in the same boat. Too many reports relying on various Google Sheets to make any quick modifications. Clearly it isn't an isolated incident which makes me think it's an issue on Google's end.

New Member

I had the same problem since yesterday. Wonder if it's something to do with sheets.
I had to change to offline excel files in the meantime to get it to work. Hope we can find the solution soon.

Not applicable

Starting to think it may be an issue with sheets. I'm continuing to search for a solution. If I find it I'll post it here.

Helpful resources

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 23 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, June 30 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors