Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Analytics Cannot be Added to Gateway

Good Morning,

One of our departments has built a dataset/report tied into Google Analytics. When configuring a scheduled refresh for them, I am running into the error below (Cannot be added to gateway). I have seen a couple other posts dealing with this error, but have not seen a solution that works, or that I understand 🙂 . Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Google Analytics Error.png

Thanks,

Matt

6 REPLIES 6
ReportGuru
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi, I think that as other comments have suggested, there's no need for a gateway. As a workaround, maybe you can try to test your connection with a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai, supemetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the GA connector in the data sources list:

GA-1.png

After that, just grant access to your GA account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your GA fields:

GA-2.png

There just select the fields you need. Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url.

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

heloise
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone! 

I have the same issue; I'm using a gateway built by my IT so that I can have data refreshed everyday during the night automatically (otherwise I needed my computer to be on and connected to the company's network). 

Since I've added Google analytics as a data from PBI desktop, the data doesn't refresh anymore (it's working if I do it on desktop, but after publishing, I always get an error message anyway). 

The error message says: an error occured while treating the data of the dataset (I'm translating here from French).

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidMashupConnectionString","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidMashupConnectionString","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: Google Conversions (GA4).

When I check the data of the dataset on PBI Service, the only issue there is is "Google analytics > impossible to add to gateway":

heloise_0-1692191549560.png

And since Google analytics is the source for the Google Conversions (GA4) table, I assume it's connected?

I've checked the links that both @collinq and @v-stephen-msft have posted, but it doesn't help; 

I found also this talk about it:

Solved: Re: [Need Help] Problems on adding Google analytic... - Microsoft Fabric Community

I've tried the steps given here: Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

>But my gateway already allows "user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster". 

When I try to add a new connexion source (in local I assume, as it says "You don't need to add the cloud data sources here.", Google analytics is not listed:

heloise_1-1692191887385.png

heloise_2-1692192085729.png

So I'm quite lost...

Thanks for your help!

>Update on that; it seems the problem comes from one table only (although I set up several Google Analytics tables); from what I have tested, the problem occurs once I merge the Analytics table with data a table that is saved in my onedrive (and thus goes through the gateway). 

It's silly; the data from the 2nd table is also from GA, it's conversion data, but PBI doesn't allow me to load that data as I have an accent in the conversion name (and I haven't figured out how to change the conversion name all the while keeping the past data).

I guess it becomes a mixed table with two different sources; cloud and gateway and here comes the bug. 

I may try to see if:

1- I can pull out the 2nde table from the gateway (as it's only on onedrive)

2- or if it doesn't work, I put it on Google sheets

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Gateway is not supported or required for Google Analytics.

Reference: Power BI data sources

And the refreshing can be done, you have to use the Google Analytics connector and then you can schedule the refresh in the Power BI Service.

Visualize and Explore your Google Analytics data with Power BI

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have two thoughts about this.  First, does Google Analytics need a gateway?  It is cloud based and therefore shouldn't necessarily need a gateway.  Second, have you looked at the Gateway setup itself?  In the gateway you will get a more informative error message that gives you the problem.

Here is an (older but still relevant) link showing how to do it - with no gateway involved.

Power BI + Google Analytics = Power Analytics | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors