Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Going from Pro to Premium per user

Ok I have been using Pro for 2 years now and build and shared reports with that.

Now we have a report that we want to refresh more often then 8 times a day so we would need premium.

Would not be a big deal to upgrade from Pro to Premium but reading a lot of weird things.

Is it true that if I make (new) reports when I have premium that the other users that have Pro cannot view/use (refresh) them anymore???

And what about the reports that I already build under Pro....would they all be not usable anymore for the Pro users??

That would really be BS.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rpinxt ,

These 2 are correct:

- I make a new report and publish them in my (old) Pro workspace : Everything stays as it is and all users can see and use my newly created (premium build) report in the Pro workspace.

- With a premium per user license I can setup a new workspace what will be a workspace in which I can schedule more than 8 times. But the report that I put there can only be used by other premium users.

With premium capacity, users who only view reports and do not create reports do not need a license. You also get a lot of configuration options and features not available in pro.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Ok thanks for the response @djurecicK2 

So let me recap if I upgrade to premium per user:

- I make a new report and publish them in my (old) Pro workspace : Everything stays as it is and all users can see and use my newly created (premium build) report in the Pro workspace.

- With a premium per user license I can setup a new workspace what will be a workspace in which I can schedule more than 8 times. But the report that I put there can only be used by other premium users.

Our need is this. The report we want to refresh more often would be shown as a dashboard on screens in our warehouse.

So technically if we would put up my report under my name on that screen all would be good.

Could maybe opt for a user in Warehouse to have a premium license also to be able to do this.

Is this assumption correct?

Big questionmark for me is....Premium per user is 240$ per user per year.

If you take premium capacity, which is a premium workspace, it will cost you 41,000$ a year!

Is this big difference solely because on the premium capacity you can have lots op people and on the premium per user workspace only other premium users have access?

Hi @rpinxt ,

These 2 are correct:

With premium capacity, users who only view reports and do not create reports do not need a license. You also get a lot of configuration options and features not available in pro.

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @rpinxt ,

A Premium Per User license allows you to set up a premium per user workspace. This workspace has PPU capabilities like scheduled refresh more than 8 times per day. Anyone who wants to access the PPU workspace needs a PPU license. You can still publish to Pro workspaces if you have a PPU license- that doesn't change. 

Here is some additional information:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-per-user-faq#end-user-experien...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors