Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Razorbx13
Post Patron
Post Patron

Goals Dataset in PowerBI Service

Hi all, any idea how to download the Goals Dataset so that it can be modified?  I have hierarchy of goals and need to report on the lowest level, but since all goals are in the Goals table cannot figure out how to create a report that I need where I have each level be a different column.  Like Department, Cost Center, Goal.  It is basically just one table.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Razorbx13
Post Patron
Post Patron

I am actually trying to determine how to get to Power Query to do all the work.  I can connect to the dataset easy, but cannot get to Power Query to manipulate the data.  And you cannot download the dataset to manipulate the tables.  I would prefer to forego working with DAX and other methods, would rather use Power Query.  Can that be done?

NevilleNB
Regular Visitor

Hi,

In the Power Query, you could pivot/ unpivot your data to map to the lowest level and create columns using the ones you mentioned above.

NevilleNB_0-1647957974041.png

So you can select all the columns in the dataset. Exclude the lowest level Goals column, along with other columns you would like to group it by (for instance "Date"). Go to Transform and navigate to the "Pivot Column" part. Once you selected Pivot, an option box will appear to ask you how you would like to summarize. Select the desired column and "Ok".

Do you perhaps have an example of the Goals dataset?

I hope this helps.

Neville

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Razorbx13 

You can connect to a Goals dataset in Power BI Desktop by selecting "Power BI Datasets" from the Get Data menu and selecting the Goals dataset you want. There you'll see that the Goals dataset is made up of five tables with relationships ...

Burningsuit_0-1647956972060.png

This should get you what you want. If you need to add your own data, you can enable the "DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and AS" Preview Feature so you can relate your own data to the Goals Dataset schema.

See..Power BI Composite Models | What’s The Big Deal? | Burningsuit

Once connected you can build your own reports based on the data captured in the Goals snapshots.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks but I have done this.  It works fine if each Goal is a specific goal.  But my goals are Department, Category and then Goal.  So they are all in the GOAL table and reporting on that as a hieararchy in a matrix or anything is very difficult.  There is no field that says something like Level 1, Level 2, Level 3.  So filtering to the Level 3 (the actual goal) is difficult.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors