Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NovaBI
Helper V
Helper V

Given Dataset + Report - how to split - best practice?

Hi all,

we have the following situation: a user has created a huge dataset + report with multiple sheets (every sheet represents one "report" (not in a pbi sense obviously)).

As this was always a local solution, there are some questions now raising as this dataset will go to the Service.

I told the user he can use the dataset as a starting point for creating all kind opf reports - everything is in. Not the worst design decision, as the performance is okay. He can connect via Liveconection to the dataset via PBI Desktop. So far, so good.

But what is the best way if the user wants to split his "sheets" aka reports into multiple PBI-reports? I did not test by now, but i think if he will just delete sheets not needed, pbi service will create a new dataset when the file is renamed...this is what I remember.

Any solutions on this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It's a very good idea to keep a single datasets with a good data modeling to fill many reports live connected there. If you want to migrate the sheets from the original file you can just copy past from two PBI Desktop files. Open the original dataset with many sheets and open a blank one. Create a live connection to power bi dataset on service with the blank one.

Then you can just open the sheet you want to migrate, select all components (like ctrl + A), copy and paste it on the blank one with live connection. Everything should be there. That way you can delete sheets from the original and create reports connected to a single dataset without replicating the dataset on each publish.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It's a very good idea to keep a single datasets with a good data modeling to fill many reports live connected there. If you want to migrate the sheets from the original file you can just copy past from two PBI Desktop files. Open the original dataset with many sheets and open a blank one. Create a live connection to power bi dataset on service with the blank one.

Then you can just open the sheet you want to migrate, select all components (like ctrl + A), copy and paste it on the blank one with live connection. Everything should be there. That way you can delete sheets from the original and create reports connected to a single dataset without replicating the dataset on each publish.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

@ibarrau Thanks, sounds reasonable!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors