Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LinhNguyen
Helper II
Helper II

Give edit and save as copy access

Hi,

I have a report that I want to enable people in my company to save a copy of it in their workspsace or use the dataset but not to edit the original report.

What I have tried is to add people as members in my workspace but by doing that, they were able to edit my original report.

If I only share the report and dataset with them, they will not be able to save a copy and edit it in their workspace.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LinhNguyen 

When you create an App, you can give enable the options as shown below.

This will enable the people to save a copy of the existing report, or connect to dataset from their Power BI Desktop under Power BI Datasets

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
michael_5234
Frequent Visitor

Hi @GilbertQ ,

is this still possible after the new Update for Multiple Audiences for PowerBI Apps? --> https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-sg/blog/announcing-public-preview-of-multiple-audiences-for-power-b...

When publishing an app, I don't have the option to check the box for "Allow users to make a copy of the reports in this app". In our app, users cannot save a copy of the report to edit it in their workspace. 

The Microsoft documentation found here doesn't reflect the new user interface after the update. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Hi @michael_5234 

Currently it is a known limitation when using the new app experience that the "make a copy" does not work.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

thanks for the reply. Do you know if this feature will be available again in the future? If so, do you know a timeline?

Best,

Michael

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LinhNguyen 

When you create an App, you can give enable the options as shown below.

This will enable the people to save a copy of the existing report, or connect to dataset from their Power BI Desktop under Power BI Datasets

image.png

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors