Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andersborg

Give access to external users

In this world of outsourcing, a lot of the work with Power BI will be performed by consultants, so there needs to be an easy way to give external parties in other companies and on other e-mail domains full access to corporate Power BI accounts. I haven't found a way to achieve that via the Admin Portal, as the user's e-mail domain is locked to a company's domain or [somecompany].onmicrosoft.com. Is the latter just an alias? In this case I'm the consultant, so I need to tell customers what they need to do to give me full access.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andersborg ,

Power BI doesn't provide sufficient features with us to make the external users get the same experience like the internal sharing currently. As Power BI tenant is fixed after signed up. If you use the Office 365 account sign up the Power BI, you might need to add them to this tenant. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's not possible.

BTW, we can share report / dashboard to external users by adding the user as guest to Azure Active Directory in advance and share the report / dashboard to them. For more details, please check the online document.

333.png

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andersborg ,

Power BI doesn't provide sufficient features with us to make the external users get the same experience like the internal sharing currently. As Power BI tenant is fixed after signed up. If you use the Office 365 account sign up the Power BI, you might need to add them to this tenant. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's not possible.

BTW, we can share report / dashboard to external users by adding the user as guest to Azure Active Directory in advance and share the report / dashboard to them. For more details, please check the online document.

333.png

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
andersborg

I believe I sorted it out. It's just the username that needs to have the owning organization's domain name or onmicrosoft.com, which is fair. The actual e-mail address can be something else.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors