Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Give ALL USERS Dataset read access (but not build or reshare), then limit access to App. Thoughts?

We have datasets that support reports/apps in other Workspaces.

This means one can't just share the report/app, one also has to share access to the underlying Dataset(s) with the users

In our environment, the PowerBI team can't create nor manage Security Groups. So every request to create/modify a Security Group is a potential pain point.

My thought: A Security Group for ALL USERS Exists. So grant Dataset access to ALL USERS (not build or reshare, just read access).

i.e. - So say we don't want Joe to see anything - fine. Joe has Read access to all Datasets, but since he has access to 0 Reports/Apps, and can't build - he can't actually see anything.

Thoughts / Drawbacks / Insane? 

Give Dataset access.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmace1 

Yeah that should work

I always suggesting testing it to make sure it works as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmace1 

Yeah that should work

I always suggesting testing it to make sure it works as expected.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmace1 

Yeah that should be ok, I thought you were doing it via the dataset permissions.

If they got read access they can only read it via a report and NOT build any reports.

Power BI Blog

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@GilbertQ 

I mean, I *am* doing it via the dataset permissions. I'd just (hypothetically) be giving all users Read only access to the dataset, not Build. 

And since they wouldn't be given access to any Workspaces, Reports, nor Apps - they couldn't actually see anything, is the idea. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If a user has got read access, when they open Power BI desktop and connect to the Power BI Datasets they then would see all the datasets that they have got access to and can build reports.

Whilst it might be a pain with security groups I would suggest keeping this inline to ensure that only the people who should see the data can see the data?

Power BI Blog

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@GilbertQ 

Are you sure they'd be able to build anything?  I thought that was the distinction of checking (or not checking) the build checkbox: 
Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors