Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thyjones
Helper I
Helper I

Getting web contents based on dynamic information

Hi All,

Struggling a bit with this one. So, I have an online spreadsheet which is now within BI as a table (Score), with 3 columns:

ID, Title, URL

The id is an id of a custom api, title is exactly that and the URL is the custom link to the specific api link (which basically returns a figure, such as 55.

Is there any way I can use this information to pull web contents dynamically? I've seen you can add parameters but I can't seem to specify anything dynamically here.

If i manually set this up with web contents and use the URL, it works fine and returns the number, but each month there will be new ones I wish to add.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @thyjones  ,

Do the suggestions from engineers make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@thyjones 

Can you share the M Code that connects to the file?

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Hi Fowmy, yes its:

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://customlink/Documents/file.xlsx"), null, true),
Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sheet1_Sheet,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "ID"}, {"Column2", "Title"}}),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Renamed Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Title of NPS Visual", type text}, {"URL", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

@thyjones 

Which part of the query do you need to make dynamic?
Provide an example, please?

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

YouTube  LinkedIn

Hi Fowmy,

Sorry, I've not been that clear.

The information already provided gets the URL's.

Then I currently have a web contents query which accesses a URL, like:

= Web.BrowserContents("https://app.whatever.com/api.php?apiKey=asfsafsaf436436&getMethod=getValue" & "&fromDate=2020-09-01" & "&toDate=2020-09-30")

let
Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://app.whatever.com/api.php?apiKey=asfsafsaf436436&getMethod=getValue" & "&fromDate=2020-09-01" & "&toDate=2020-09-30"),
#"Converted to Table" = #table(1, {{Source}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Converted to Table","<html><head></head><body>","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","</body></html>","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Column1", "NPS"}}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"NPS", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

So that is relatively set, I need the Web.BrowserContents to request the URL's in the original query.

I hope that explains it a little better?

Thanks

@thyjones 

You can simply replace the Source value to the query which you use to connect, let's say the name is Query, then you can assign 
Source = Query

let
Source = Query,
#"Converted to Table" = #table(1, {{Source}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Converted to Table","<html><head></head><body>","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","</body></html>","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Column1", "NPS"}}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"NPS", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

YouTube  LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors