Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Getting started with Power BI embed

I have registred my application (went with all defaults except the app name). At the end I dowloaded a sample application:

https://app.powerbi.com/embedsetup/AppOwnsData?session_id=be60698f-5b62-435a-a74e-aef4f3060e91

I opened it in VS and built it. clicked run and gt this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\PowerBI\App Owns Data\PowerBIEmbedded_AppOwnsData\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\PowerBI\App Owns Data\PowerBIEmbedded_AppOwnsData\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\PowerBI\App Owns Data\PowerBIEmbedded_AppOwnsData\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.]
   System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +373
   System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) +738
   System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) +68
   Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.Compiler.get_CompilerName() +91
   Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.Compiler.FromFileBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +658
   Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.Compiler.CompileAssemblyFromFileBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +186
   System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeDomProvider.CompileAssemblyFromFile(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +25
   System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile() +985
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() +10227426
   System.Web.Compilation.ApplicationBuildProvider.GetGlobalAsaxBuildResult(Boolean isPrecompiledApp) +10116498
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileGlobalAsax() +47
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +274

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\PowerBI\App Owns Data\PowerBIEmbedded_AppOwnsData\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.]
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException() +65
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +458
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallAppInitializeMethod() +35
   System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +605

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\PowerBI\App Owns Data\PowerBIEmbedded_AppOwnsData\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +10083304
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +99
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +263

Since I am learning I have no idea whta this is. Any help?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Markzolotoy ,

Follow this thread's advice to see if it can help you:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58154233/could-not-find-file-bin-roslyn-csc-exe 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft Also going through documentation I see that I will have to create a tenant. I have a Pro license from my company. Will I be able to create a tenant for my developement and testing?

Hi @Markzolotoy ,

Based on your description, do you only have a pro license? If so, have you applied for a free trial or paid for the node?

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/ 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft No, I have not. Is there a development environment for Power BI embeded?

Hi @Markzolotoy ,

Try to apply for a free trial. When you need to enter the real development stage, you need to purchase nodes and deploy them.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/ 

Best Regards,
Liang

@V-lianl-msft So I can add some capacity even if I use a Pro license given by my company?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Markzolotoy After looking at the error- Could not find a part of the path 'C:\PowerBI\App Owns Data\PowerBIEmbedded_AppOwnsData\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.

Looks like some folder path is missing. Have a look at that.

Appreciate your kudos!! Mark this post as solution if it helps.

I dont have this folder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And that's why you are getting the error.

Try to locate the folder where the exe resides.

Or may be the install was not completed successfully. Try re-installing.

I am not sure what else I can do, I simply downloaded the zip, built solution and ran it. What else can I do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that would require installation of multiple applications

Go through this https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/developers/embedded-analytics/isv/

Which application are referring to?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors