Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting list of users who have access to the Power BI Reprt

Hi All,

Please help me with a easier way of exporting list of users who have read, owner, contributor access to the Power BI report in service? 
I am trying with below solution
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Exporting-list-of-those-with-access-to-the-Report/m-p...

But it is not giving me the entire list, after zooming in as well.
Thanks in advance

Regards,
Radhika

7 REPLIES 7
CatM
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I was looking for  a similar solution and this code (which is different from the one you referenced - that one was inconsistent for me) worked perfectly for me, once I zoomed all the way out.

Step 1 - Open the Manage Permissions page of the report on Power BI online

Step 2 - Start a developer mode by pressing F12

Step 3 - Open the console tab and paste the code below, press enter to run 🙂

var text='';
$('.row').each(function() {
var username = $(this).find('.user-name').text();
var email = $(this).find('span.col-emailAddress').text();
var permission = $(this).find('span.col-permissions').text();
text = text + (username + "," + email + "," + permission +"\n")
});
console.log(text);

Hope this helps!

All the best,

-Cat

Hello CatM, Thank you, it works partially. The problem is that it does not give me the full list, only one third or so... is there a way how to get all the names with this code?

Thank you in advance.

Hi! You just need to zoom all the way out so you can see the entire list - it will only export out what you can see on your screen 🙂

Hope this helps!

Hello, please refer to this documentation:

Admin - Reports GetReportUsersAsAdmin - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

As you mentioned above, previous API was giving you the list of Users on the Workspace level, but here you refer to specific report only.

Alternatively, you could look holisticly at entire tenant, follwoing this documention:

Metadata scanning overview - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Of course it requires Admin access, but in general, provided overview of everything related to Power BI Artifacts in your tenant. Each level is expandable to get information like Users with access, and type of that access.

You will know who has access to Workspace, Semantic Model, Report, Dataflows, etc. I have entire reporting setup around this, so, if you have any questions, let me know.

nitishsh91
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi

I would not use that approach it's very manual and error-prone. (Microsoft will not make any guarantees on the structure of the page).

The correct approach is the use the Power BI API's that Microsoft has created exactly for this purpose.

The API you are looking for is Admin - Groups GetGroupUsersAsAdmin - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

If you are unfamiliar with using API's then PowerShell is the easiest way to get started. you can follow this tutorial Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Docs 

There is no cmdlet to call the function you need directly but you can use the Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod to call the API.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This will give list of users who have access to the workspace, I want the list of users who have access to a report in the workspace

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors