Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Getting error when trying to download a pbix

Can't export to Power BI Desktop format

we couldn't export to .pbix format.

Please try again later or contact support, if you contact support please provide these details.

Activity ID: 1902ad8f-6be1-4372-af22-81b576763b64
Request ID: cb4d5756-2dc4-c388-fe23-5749a914903a
Correlation ID: 86be643d-4d40-231e-4f28-2b8a2c8e2e42
Status code: 404
Time: Mon Feb 22 2021 10:51:07 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.15430.56
Client version: 2102.3.04950-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

any ideas on how to fix this?  Other pbix in same workspace download with no issues.  This is a copy of another report although a co-worker has stated that he also gets this from a newly created report on the service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

That MS doc needs to be updated.  Folks here's the result of my testing.

I created a report with its own data source so it would publish to the same workspace as the report.

then I made a copy of that report

Then I create in the desktop a new report that used that published shared datasource and published it to the same workspace

Then I made a copy of that report on the service.

Results:

Any report, copy or not, that had its datasource in that workspace downloaded the pbix successfully.  A report with a shared datasource, in that workspace or not, that had been published to the workspace downloaded its pbix successfully.  However any report that was a copy of a report whose datasource was in another workspace failed to download successfully.

Therefore you can download the pbix of a report as long as:

1)  the report is a copy and has its datasource in that workspace

2)  is not a copy and has been published, even if its datasource is in another workspace.

I have not tested any new reports created solely on the service.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @bsheffer ,

Take a look at this list and see if this might be causing the issue:

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Doc...

(My bet is that you have different version than the version of the person that uploaded the file.)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

thanks for the response

This is a download issue so the version of power bi desktop doesn't matter

We do use a shared dataset but the original which also uses it has no problems downloading and opening.  Therefore the a copy should not have the issue either.

the original was published to the service.

I'm using the save a copy option on the service to create the copy.  Once created, I cannot save it as a pbix.

I have no issues deleting the copy.

HI @bsheffer ,

If you meet all the criteria based on the link that I sent to you then I think it is time to open a ticket with Microsoft so that they can see what is happening on the back-end.  Please let us know the result so that we can refer to this thread for the next user that has this issue!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Again thanks.  Could you do us a favor and make a copy (on the service) of a report you know you published to the service as a pbix and see if you can download the pbix from the copy?  If you can do it with a report with a shared datasource in another workspace that would be even better.  Just so we can tell if this is my problem or OUR problem.

Hey @bsheffer ,

I have succesfully copied and download a .pbix on my system.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

thanks.  Was the datasource in that workspace?  Did you try it with a report using a published datasource in another workspace?

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

That MS doc needs to be updated.  Folks here's the result of my testing.

I created a report with its own data source so it would publish to the same workspace as the report.

then I made a copy of that report

Then I create in the desktop a new report that used that published shared datasource and published it to the same workspace

Then I made a copy of that report on the service.

Results:

Any report, copy or not, that had its datasource in that workspace downloaded the pbix successfully.  A report with a shared datasource, in that workspace or not, that had been published to the workspace downloaded its pbix successfully.  However any report that was a copy of a report whose datasource was in another workspace failed to download successfully.

Therefore you can download the pbix of a report as long as:

1)  the report is a copy and has its datasource in that workspace

2)  is not a copy and has been published, even if its datasource is in another workspace.

I have not tested any new reports created solely on the service.

Thanks @bsheffer ,

That is good to know!  One clarification question though - in both of the workspaces, are you admin (or full control) or are the permissions different for you in the two separate locations?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I am not an admin in any workspace (except myworkspace I suppose)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors