Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stownsel2

Getting Started and Trying to Move Fast

Hello everyone!  Hey I am trying to put together a presentation of what Power BI can do.  I have a mock real estate portfolio dataset that I have converted into a table and imported it into Power BI.  When I working in Power BI, I get goofy numbers and can't really drill down like I want to for specific buildings with the data that I have in the spreadsheet.

Can someone help me from start to finish with this?  I need to figure out what I am doing wrong!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Your data model is wrong. You're welcome! :-]

Outline the structure of the data and explain what you mean by "goofish".

Can you explain what you mean by 'my data model is wrong?'

The structure of my data is the following:  I have an excel spreadsheet with three tabs for portfolio, capital projects and building data.  Within those tabs are datapoints that are specific to that tab as well as shared across the other two tabs.

What I mean by "goofish" was really supposed to be "goofy" but lets say I am under the building data that has every piece of information about that building.  If I click on 'address', which is one of the columns, it shows up on the map.  But if I add 'state" then everything disappears.  Another example is that I have square footage for evey building but it keep calculating the total square footage of all of the buildings in the spreadsheet.

How can I import the spreadsheet in a manner where I can see where all of my buildings are on the map and have the ability to drill down into each building and see things like that building square footage, lease terms, and capital projects associated with that building.  Note, all of that data is associated with a specific building in the spreadsheet.

Hi. If you import the three spreadsheets into Power BI Desktop you should see them appear as three tables in the Field List (right hand side as you look at the Report View). You should be able to create a map and drop State and Address into the 'Locations' part of the Field Well. Then you can drill down into specific states to see all the bulidings in that state. If you have a visual showing the total square footage, clicking on a specific building on the map should filter it to just the square footage of that building.

If you can give us some screenshots of your model (look at the Diagram View in the Desktop) and the visuals you have so far, it might help troubleshoot further.

thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors