Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting 403 exception with PowerBI POST API methods

Hi all,

I am trying to automate the powerbi deployments using TFS 2019. In which I need to check in the .pbix file then after deploying to different environments like QA, UAT, PROD, I need to update the connection string of the data source. For this purpose, I have created one Service principal in the Azure portal and added it to the TFS 2019. So all report\dataset deployments will be done by this service principal. This part is working fine. Now I need to create Power shell scripts to execute the PowerBI APIs. I can connect, login to the powerbi account using my service principal. I have registered an app in the Azure portal and provided all permission. I also created a security group in azure and added this service principal to this security group. In the power BI admin portal, I am using this security group to restrict the permissions. Now I can perform all GET methods without any exception. But when I try to update the dataset connection string and update the gateway using the powerBI API post method, I am getting the 403 (forbidden) exception or "Cannot add value because header 'Authorization' does not support multiple values.".

As per the API document (), Dataset.ReadWrite.All are required to execute the API. Is it required to get the auth token specifically for this scope? How can I get the auth code for this particular scope? 

Code to get the token

$clientId ='my client Id'; 

$clientSecret = ConvertTo-SecureString "my client secret" -AsPlainText -Force ;
$spCredentials =New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($clientId, $clientSecret);
$account = Login-PowerBI -ServicePrincipal -TenantId $tenantId -Credential $spCredentials -ErrorAction: Stop;

Code to update the gateway binding

$bindToDSUrl= ' https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/datasets/{datasetid}/Default.BindToGateway'
$bindToDSData = '{
"gatewayObjectId": "gateway object id",
"datasourceObjectIds": [
"{datasourceId}"
]
}';

$headers = @{
'Authorization' = (Get-PowerBIAccessToken -AsString);
}
$res = Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url:$bindToDSUrl -Method:Post -Headers: $headers -Body:$bindToDSData -ContentType 'application/json; charset=utf-8' -Verbose -ErrorAction:Stop

now getting the following exception

Cannot add value because header 'Authorization' does not support multiple values.

code to update the datasource

$dsSourceUrl = 'datasets/{datasetid}/Default.UpdateDatasources';
$dsDataJson = '{"updateDetails": [{"datasourceSelector": {"datasourceType": "Sql","connectionDetails": {"server": "newDBServer","database": "TestDB"}},"connectionDetails": {"server": "newDBServer","database": "TestDB_Prod"}}]}';
$rr= Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url:$dsSourceUrl -Method:Post -Body:$dsDataJson -Headers:$headers -ContentType:'application/json; charset=utf-8' -Verbose

now getting 403 exceptions.

3 REPLIES 3
ashishsoni

Can you please help me if there is any update on this?

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems the access token in http requesct has issue, Could you please check the format of Authorization in Header, it should be "Bear: XXXXXXX". Or you can try to verify it by  posting this request with a constant pre-genrate access token.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors