Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anjaliu

Get Data on powerbi.com

Hi ,

We have data source as postgres in PowerBi Desktop, but i am not able to find this data source on powerbi.com getData option.

Do both of these button (on desktop and powerbi.com) dont serve the same purpose.

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anjaliu,

In addition to @Greg_Deckler's suggestion, you can also import data from postgres database to data model, then import your file into Power BI where a dataset is created. So postgres data is also available in Power BI Service. You can take a look at supported data source in Power BI desktop or service:

Data sources in Power BI Desktop

Data sources for Power BI service

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft - Thanks for clarifying, that was poor language on my part that postgres is not available in the Service. The proper language is that you cannot create a postgres connection in the Service, but it is supported for refresh when creating a dataset from a Desktop file. That's what I meant by my statement, but it was worded poorly!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Get your point. I'm happy that we have the same opinion. Smiley Tongue

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Correct, the Service has a subset of data source capabilities rather than the Desktop. The Desktop has many more data source connectors that are not available in the Service. In contrast, the Service is the only option you have for utilizing content packs.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors