Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mike_Freeman

Get Data - Would like to pull multiple Excel files into service

I am able to pull multiple spreadsheets into service. I am able to do so in desktop but that requires me to save the file and open in service. The i am unable to update the spreadsheets in service with new data. Is it possible to pull multiple Excel spreadsheets in BI Service? this is where all my reports and dashboards are built and would like to be able to update the data when the new dataset is available without having to rebuild the entire dashboard each time and re-map all of my shared locations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mike_Freeman,

Power bi service does not support to directly get multiple files.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you design on the power bi desktop to create a report(use folder connector) and upload this pbix file to power bi service with 'get data -> local file'. (power bi will analysis and recognize its contents and create corresponding contents and dataset, then you only need to configure scheduled refresh for its dataset)

Configure scheduled refresh 

Data refresh in Power BI 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mike_Freeman,

Power bi service does not support to directly get multiple files.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you design on the power bi desktop to create a report(use folder connector) and upload this pbix file to power bi service with 'get data -> local file'. (power bi will analysis and recognize its contents and create corresponding contents and dataset, then you only need to configure scheduled refresh for its dataset)

Configure scheduled refresh 

Data refresh in Power BI 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mike_Freeman 

Like @v-shex-msft said PowerBI service is not the best place to do more complicated reports, you should do your report in PowerBI desktop than upload them on PowerBI Service to share them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Mike, have you activated auto-refresh on your report in PowerBI Service? You can set it weekly or daily.

i have not done that yet. I am new to the power BI game and not super familiar with the processes yet. for now i have to run my report out of a seperate application and am just manually importing the data in. But service will only allow me to import one spreadsheet per report in BI whereas desktop allows me to pull in multiple.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors