Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BertrandR
Regular Visitor

Geolocalisation not working anymore

Hi.

I have a standard map dashboard with locations like "Paris, FR" "New York, USA".

It works perfectly on desktop but, since last week, it doesn't work anymore on service.

I heard other issues about map.

Any idea or deadline?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can second this.

Working from the Netherlands, I have a datamodel that contains a field [city, country] that is categorised as a City. E.g.: "Amsterdam, Nederland" (The Netherlands). This worked (and still does) fine in Desktop, but in PowerBI Service all of a sudden most cities are mapped to other countries or to the wrong city in the Netherlands.

E.g.: "Den Haag, Nederland" (The Hague) is now plotted to the street "Haag" in the town of Mol in Belgium.

cs_skit
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

had the same thing

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unchanged-report-works-in-2-46-4732-581-broken-in-latest-rel...

its just the update to the map control

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#geoHierarchy

use multiples seperate fields now like street + postal + city + country

if you want to keep your one field just remove the categorization and it should work again

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my data was alrealy categorized as Location. And if I "uncategorize" it, geocoding is wrong.

There is no Data Categorization called "Location". 

You mean the field in the visual and that can stay.

Just change this in the table on your Location field:

DataCategory.png

to Uncategorized and it should work again. This exactly the issue I had and from what you describe I am sure its yours too.

EDIT: so this was reported as a BUG and PBI team is already working on solution

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Shape-Map-Not-Works-in-Desktop-but-not-Online/td-p/190532/p...

"this is a known issue and the team is working on this and by the end of Jun 13, this should be resolved,"

Changing the category from "city" to "uncategorized" does not solve the problem for Power BI service.

There is no problem for Power BI desktop, whatever the category is (but I have an april version).

Nice to hear the Power BI team is working on the subject.

No Idea what to do with the old version probably best wait for the fix.

With recent PBI June Desktop version it shows the same bug in Desktop as in Service and as soon as you change Category the data points show again and when you publish as well. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors