Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gwright15
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway

Good morning

We are running a gateway to access a local data source (mysql database).  We also had data on an amazon redshift server.  When have set up the gateway, it forces me to use the gateway to access the online redshift server.  Is this normal behaviour?  Whilst it has worked fine, it puts more stress on our own servers.

Many thanks

Graeme

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwright15 

Do you combine queries (e.g. merge/append queries) which are pulled from local and cloud data sources? If so, it will need an on-premises data gateway to deal with the combined queries. Reference: Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you don't combine local and cloud data sources, although it may show red X beside the cloud data source (because you don't add it to the gateway), it is still possible to refresh the dataset correctly. You can have a try.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jsomkul
Frequent Visitor

Hi! I have the same issue.

I don't understand why I cannot choose to turn off the gateway. For some reports, I don't need a gateway because it's from cloud storage. Once I installed the gateway, it forced me to use the gateway in all reports and all datasets and even in my co-worker's report as well (the data source credentials set up grays out). Is there a way to use the gateway only in one report?

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwright15 

Do you combine queries (e.g. merge/append queries) which are pulled from local and cloud data sources? If so, it will need an on-premises data gateway to deal with the combined queries. Reference: Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you don't combine local and cloud data sources, although it may show red X beside the cloud data source (because you don't add it to the gateway), it is still possible to refresh the dataset correctly. You can have a try.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

gwright15
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you.  We have another data file, which is just redshift and excel data, and this works fine without the gateway.

The issue seems to be when the local and redshift data is being pulled, it makes both use the data gateway.  I would have though the local data would be pulled via the gateway, and the redshift via the native connection.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gwright15,

although this is a pretty old article, it does explain that a gateway is not needed:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-support-for-amazon-redshift-reports-in-the-power...

Did you use Import or DirectQuery?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thank you so much.  There is a merge which must be stopping it.  I'll try and do the merge in the data warehouse rather than BI and see if that resolves.  Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors