Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UserInterface
Advocate I
Advocate I

Gateway with different creds to Datasource

Hey Guys. I have a problem trying to work out how to use 2 sets of creds.

I need to use Admin creds to access the data source (2x SQL DB) but then when I use a gateway I need to sign in with my normal account to access o365 PowerBI.

Does anyone know if this can be achived somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easiest way is to think of it like this:

While you are in Power BI Desktop, you have some locally stored credentials that are used to make the connection.  If you save your PBIX file and pass it to someone else, the credentials are not stored in the PBIX file itself, but in the local cache of your Power BI Desktop application.  This new person would need to enter their own credentials to access the DirectQuery data, or run a refresh (Import).

When you publish to the Power BI Service, again no credentials are sent along with the file.  Since the cloud is outside your network, unless your data source is also in the cloud, it has no direct connection to your data source.

An On-Premise Data Gateway acts as a secure bridge.  It gets installed on hardware inside your network and you make a specific connection to the Office 365 tenant.  Under "Manage Gateways" in the Power BI Service, you can add Data Sources, their credintials, and which users can access this data source.  This is now avaiable to be used by any project that contains that data source and is being configured by someone on the access list.  (small note, a project that wants to use a gateway needs to ensure that every data source is within the gateway, or is a cloud data source).

When you go into the "Schedule Refresh" of your Power BI Dataset on the Service, you must select a gateway.  If its configured correctly you will see it appear in the gateway listing.  Whenever this refreshes (import) or connects (direct query), it will talk only to the gateway.  The gateway itself will handle the authentication and passing the data between the cloud and your network.  The report itself doesn't need any credentials.

The credentials while in the cloud are all managed via "Manage Gateways" and work irrespective of how you publish a project/dataset into the Power BI Service.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors