Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnson_brett

Gateway setup in 3rd Party Private Cloud. Connecting with desktop

We use a private cloud hosted 3rd party application that runs against a SQL server backend.  The database is not a cloud database.  We do not have direct database access.  We are working with the vendor to allow for a Powerbi Gateway Connection.  My question is about the connection.  If they setup the Gateway, would my on-prem users be able to use that gateway to develop in Powerbi Desktop and then push to the online service?  I guess I don't understand whether desktop can use the gateway connection to hit a datasource for development or if the gateway can only be used by the service for data updates.

Anyone have a similar setup

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We solved the problem with the following:

1. Create a "Power BI Golden Data Set" using a locally accessible database

2. Use Parameters for the dbName and dbServer in the Data Set

3. Have the Admin setup a Data Source in the Gateway to the database (Admin owns the password, we never see it)

4. Admin assign Developer access to the Data Source

5. Developer can publish Golden Data Set to Workspace

6. Developer can update dbName and dbServer parameter to match the Data Source server and database names

7. Devleoper can now assign the Data Source to the Data Set in Data Source settings in Power BI

8. Developer can create a report connecting directly to the Power BI Data Source from their Desktop

We are now migrating to use the Powershell Power BI commands and API calls to automate the publishing of new reports.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same requirement.

I need a gateway that can connect to that datasource so that our team can create reports in our Power BI (Office 365) environment.

My understanding is that someone from our domain (me) needs to login into the Gateway that is installed inside the 3rd-parties subnet that contains the database.

Do I have to convince them to install the Gateway and then allow me to authenicate, login as an administrator, on that gateway?

Hi @Anonymous ,

In fact, the gateway does not work when you direct use power bi service to get data from private cloud Datasource.
For your scenario, I think you need to design your report on power bi desktop side first. (config VPN or proxy to mapping private cloud Datasource so that you can use power bi desktop to connect to correspond Datasource and design reports)
After these steps, you can publish your report to Power bi service side and configure Datasource and enable proxy on gateway settings to keep the connection to Datasource for access and refresh operations.

BTW, if you don't have enough permission install and deploy an on-premise gateway, I'd like to suggest you use power bi gateway personal mode which does not require admin permissions.

The Power BI Gateway; All You Need to Know 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @johnson_brett,

AFAIK, the gateway is used to handle power bi service refresh request. For develop on desktop client, I think you need to set up a proxy on your device to keep the connection for desktop clients to database servers.

In addition, you also need to enable proxy on your gateway(if you database not availed to access from the general network) and configure firewall rule to send/receive requests form power bi service.

Configure proxy settings for the on-premises data gateway 

[Deprecating] Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Your developers would need to be able to connect to the same 3rd party database. The developers would use the same connection details as what would be configured in the Gateway in order to be able to get it refreshing in the Gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors