Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway service account use? affects? required?

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of configuring Data gateways, and since there is not much documentation explaining about the "Gateway Service Account" in the Gateway app e.g. what it is ? what it is used for? what it affects? and do i really need to change the default and get a service account created by IT?

I would appreciate if someone could please help me understand this as this might be important.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It's not a rule that the account must be a service one from IT. It's a recommendation. The account used to login the gateway during the installation will own it. That means that when that account logs in, it can configure the sources for refreshes. That account should have access to the workspaces with the datasets you want to schedue refresh.

The recomendation is to have an account that is not directly connected with a person because if that person leaves the company you might miss the configuration. Having a service account helps to keep all configuration inside the company. 

It depends on what are you building or how big the company is to configure it. If this is the first approach with PowerBi in company you can test gateway with your own work account for some time owning and configuring the gateway. Later if you want to evolve with service account, the gateway can add Administrators to help as owners with the first account that installed the program.

Here you have a tutorial to configure for the first time: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

I hope all that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It's not a rule that the account must be a service one from IT. It's a recommendation. The account used to login the gateway during the installation will own it. That means that when that account logs in, it can configure the sources for refreshes. That account should have access to the workspaces with the datasets you want to schedue refresh.

The recomendation is to have an account that is not directly connected with a person because if that person leaves the company you might miss the configuration. Having a service account helps to keep all configuration inside the company. 

It depends on what are you building or how big the company is to configure it. If this is the first approach with PowerBi in company you can test gateway with your own work account for some time owning and configuring the gateway. Later if you want to evolve with service account, the gateway can add Administrators to help as owners with the first account that installed the program.

Here you have a tutorial to configure for the first time: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

I hope all that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors