Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway refresh changes number formats

Hello!

Hopefully someone can help me out as I've come to my wits end.

My model looks like this:

Tables from SQL server - 1x fact table with 15M rows + several smaller dimension tables

1 x CSV file

2 x tables with manually entered data

When I publish the report to the PBI service, everything works as expected. But after refreshing the data, Power BI no longer recognizes decimals and changes them to thousands separators, obviously messing up the data. I have tried everything regarding the changing the number formats/regional settings etc, but nothing seems to fix it. I'm using a personal gateway on my laptop to refresh the report.

What is really strange about this, is that the issue resolves by itself, when I remove the SQL fact table from the model. The CSV file and manually added data form a separate "island" in the model, without any connection to the SQL tables. So I can't see how the SQL table could mess up the formats in these tables. All other SQL tables don't have this issue.

Please help. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the issue was caused by incremental loading of the fact table. But was not able to pinpoint how exactly it was causing the probem. After fixing query folding we we're able to ditch the incremental loading as the performance became good enough.

So problem solved, though root cause not identified - still don't know why incremental loading caused the number formats to change.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Sounds like a regional language issue. Check your settings in the Service as well as your browser.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you link any resource about changing the regional settings for the service?

I tried googling, but didn't find anything regarding the service, only how to change the regional settings on your PC/browser.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I think it's unlikely that the issue is caused by regional settings, as the this only happens when the large sql table is present in the model. When I load the csv to a new PBI file, publish it and run gateway refresh, then everything is working fine. Or when I delete the large sql table from the model, then there is no problem as well.

Changing the number formats doesn't do anything, neither does changing the regional settings. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the issue was caused by incremental loading of the fact table. But was not able to pinpoint how exactly it was causing the probem. After fixing query folding we we're able to ditch the incremental loading as the performance became good enough.

So problem solved, though root cause not identified - still don't know why incremental loading caused the number formats to change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors