Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matt22365
Resolver III
Resolver III

Gateway issue

Hi

I hope someone can help

I have a BI report currently on My workspace which pulls data from multiple places . Now the report has finished its built I need everyone with access to be able to refresh the dataset.

I moved the report to a shared workspace, however my schedulled refresh has stopped working and no-one can manually refresh the data. The error is due to a gateway not being set up.

I am not sure how to do this and whether each user needs to set up a gateway

Thanks for your help

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

Thanks for geting back to me. Some of my data is in sharepoint files, sharepoint task list and MS Project Online files.

However I found the issue, one of the tables I created to bridge the relationship between other tables was stored on my desktop rather than sharepoint. Once I moved this, the schedule refresh updated without a gateway.

Interesting point on hourly updates, I was not aware it did this, something to look into.

Thanks for your help

Matt 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
deepu299
Advocate V
Advocate V

@Matt22365 

Hi Matt, more details are needed to answer your question. 

Only users who are on the workspace will be able to refresh the dataset. Are they all added to the shared workspace? Are they part of the data source within gateway, they need to be added under users tab. 

There is no need for each user to setup the gateway if you are talking about on-premise enterprise gateway. See the difference between enterprise and personal mode:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me

All the people who would need to refresh are on the workspace as owners. All the data is stored on the companies sharepoint which all users have access to.

I am new to Gateways, however as all the data is stored on sharepoint I am not too sure why it is needed

Thanks

Matt 

@Matt22365  If the data is on sharepoint, since Power BI and Sharepoint are part of same O365 suite, you will not need a gateway. 

In this document, it was mentioned to schedule a refresh but I think when the data is changed on sharepoint it will reflect on Power BI within 1 hour. You have mentioend that the dataset has multiple sources, what are other sources?  

Hi

Thanks for geting back to me. Some of my data is in sharepoint files, sharepoint task list and MS Project Online files.

However I found the issue, one of the tables I created to bridge the relationship between other tables was stored on my desktop rather than sharepoint. Once I moved this, the schedule refresh updated without a gateway.

Interesting point on hourly updates, I was not aware it did this, something to look into.

Thanks for your help

Matt 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors