Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Manar
Helper II
Helper II

Gateway issue

Hi,

In my company we are trying to connect the Gateway to our datasource which is in  a sql server named instance that uses different port (NOT the default  port 1433),

Every time we try to add the data source to the Gateway, the gateway keeps spinning for hours without giving us any error message.

We opened the ports, and did everything we could but I don't understand what the issue could be, Should we add the port number to the datasource name?  We tried connecting to another instance tha uses the default port and it worked.

Please help!

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We solved the issue. Our SQL server is a named isntance so we had to add port number, and the reports were connected to the server without the port number, and that was causing an issue. The name of the server in power bi desktop from which we are pulling the data has to be exactly the same on the Gateway.

@GilbertQ Thank you so much for helping out.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Manar

When creating the new data source in the Gateway on the Power BI Service, ensure to put in the Port Number at the end of your server name.

So for example if my SQL Server was called: Datawarehouse.mydomain.com or 10.24.52.11
And my port that I had changed it to was: 5874

When creating the data source in the Gateway in the Power BI Service, where it asks for the Server I would put in the following:

Datawarehouse.mydomain.com,5874

OR

Either of the above will work, I tested it on a Gateway now and it registered successfully.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  We tried  both ways and it still just spins without finishing

Unusual it was working for me, so possibly an issue with the firewall or Gateway server?

have you tried setting the Gateway to use HTTPS to see if that works on the server where the Gateway is installed?

Power BI Blog

thank you @GilbertQ  The gateway was successfully installed on the server  and connected to the data source, the issue is every time I publish a report my system doesn't find the Gateway (it tells me no gateway is enabled) Should I do something to my own firewall to allow the enterprise gateway , any clue on why my computer can't find the gateway.

Hi there.

You will have to create the data source in the Manage Gateway's within the Power BI service

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ   My Company already installed the Gateway, connected it to the Datasource , the issue is when I publish a report using the same Server name and database (Direct Mode), it gives me an error meesage : " we were unable to find gateway"  

We solved the issue. Our SQL server is a named isntance so we had to add port number, and the reports were connected to the server without the port number, and that was causing an issue. The name of the server in power bi desktop from which we are pulling the data has to be exactly the same on the Gateway.

@GilbertQ Thank you so much for helping out.

Very good contribution. it helped me a lot.😁

Great work. Glad it's working

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors