Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mcmum01
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway is configured correctly but is unreachable due to local network

Having trouble with on premises data gateway (personal mode) staying connected. The scheduled refresh ran for a couple of weeks without issue until this week. See the refresh history below:

History.png

I started the Gateway app and see this:

1st Status.png

After I sign in, it looks like this:

2nd Status.png

How does it work for weeks and then suddenly stopped? I am not the administrator on the machine. I have been in the office and connected to VPN when I work from home multiples times in the 2 weeks and no issues. I saw lots of posts about this subject but didn't see a solution that would work for me. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @mcmum01,

Please update your on premises data gateway (personal mode) to version 3000.0.144.3 and try again.

By my tests with the latest version, everything works as expected.

gateway.PNG

In addition, please check if your VPN is connected successfully. 

I'm not clear if you have had a reference of this similar thread, if not, you could have a try.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
KiranBeethoju
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi, dear forum members, I found the solution for this issue.

Gateway is configured correctly but is unreachable due to local network is not a big issue and it is actually ambiguous error which I came across.
Step1 - Install the latest version of the data gateway (initial).
Step2 - Login with your credentials
you will get the error 
Gateway is configured correctly but is unreachable due to local network
Step3 - Take another system or any windows RDP system
Step4 - Install the latest version of the data gateway in another system or any windows RDP system
Step5 - Login with your credentials after login the data gateway will take all the rights from the initial system to the current system accept and login if it works there go back to your initial system and log into the data gateway it works.

Accept it as working solution if it works for you.

brilliant! worked for me

also @KiranBeethoju  this solution only works for personal mode gateways?

You need to configure a gateway and create it, or just logging in will do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

On Friday, we had this problem his all THREE of our Power BI gateway servers - sandbox, qual, and prod.
In the Logs, we found the error 

[DM.GatewayCore] Swallowing non-fatal exception encountered during attempt 2271/2147483647 for startup of Transfer service: System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.IO.IOException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

Turns out that on our 3 servers, we had a missing/expired cert for microsoft.powerbi.com

Once we installed a fresh cert on the 3 servers, things were working again. 

To test whether or not you have missing / invalid certs on your Power BI Gateway server:

1. Open a web browser on the gateway server.

2  Navigate to PowerBi.com

3.  Look for any Certificate errors warnings at top of the browser (usually they appear in RED).  

If you encounter these cert errors, you need to download an install a fresh cert from the certificate authority. 

James-Hinton

I am having the same problem with with the enterprise gateway.  It has been working well for a long time but since updating to Version 3000.63.6 (October 2020 release 2) I get the same error message when signing in to the gateway.

I also have the same version and the same situation. Please help.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @mcmum01,

Please update your on premises data gateway (personal mode) to version 3000.0.144.3 and try again.

By my tests with the latest version, everything works as expected.

gateway.PNG

In addition, please check if your VPN is connected successfully. 

I'm not clear if you have had a reference of this similar thread, if not, you could have a try.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Still (Dec 26 2021), it is a persistent problem, why don't you guys fix it and make it stable?  even after updating the latest data gateway, I am getting the same error which seems like a meaningless error message.

That did work, thank you. My concern is that is a short term fix, unless the previous release had a bug in it. I just couldn't understand why it worked for 90+ days and then suddenly stopped. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors