Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Gateway for SQL Server and oData (on prem)

Hello all, 

I have the following set-up: 

we are using Business Central (on prem).

For most tables, I use the "Business Central (on prem)" oData connector. 

For large tables, I use the SQL Server connector. 

Individually, they connect well via the Gateway to the Power BI Server. When combined, however, the connection fails for the oData connector, and I have no idea how to solve this. Has anyone an idea?

In the screenshots below, you can see that the oData connector itself works fine (same for SQL alone), but together they fail.

connection oData.pngconnection oData+sql.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello, 

I contacted the Power BI support team regarging this issue and the following procedure solved the issue:

When setting up the SQL connection, I entered the IP address XXX.XX.XX.XX - the solution was, to simply change this to the domain name of the server. 

As a reason, I will copy this answer from PBI support team here (I'm no DBA or something, so this doesn't mean a lot to me):

We discussed this issue with our internal team, we found two scenarios causing this issue; firstly you are using any other IP address not the VPN to connect with the gateway. Secondly, You need to add your Power BI Gateway server IP in your Azure SQL firewall rule. Below is the document for your reference.
IP firewall rules - Azure SQL Database and Azure Synapse Analytics | Microsoft Learn
We suspect that, any one of these scenario causes the issue here in configuring the gateway in power bi. Whenever you tried with IP address make sure it should be "Public".

I am pretty sure that I entered the correct IP address (as it worked in stand-alone mode as well) so not quite sure what they want to tell me with the first possibility, but as I have a running refresh now, I am happy 🙂

Best

hashtag_pete

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello, 

I contacted the Power BI support team regarging this issue and the following procedure solved the issue:

When setting up the SQL connection, I entered the IP address XXX.XX.XX.XX - the solution was, to simply change this to the domain name of the server. 

As a reason, I will copy this answer from PBI support team here (I'm no DBA or something, so this doesn't mean a lot to me):

We discussed this issue with our internal team, we found two scenarios causing this issue; firstly you are using any other IP address not the VPN to connect with the gateway. Secondly, You need to add your Power BI Gateway server IP in your Azure SQL firewall rule. Below is the document for your reference.
IP firewall rules - Azure SQL Database and Azure Synapse Analytics | Microsoft Learn
We suspect that, any one of these scenario causes the issue here in configuring the gateway in power bi. Whenever you tried with IP address make sure it should be "Public".

I am pretty sure that I entered the correct IP address (as it worked in stand-alone mode as well) so not quite sure what they want to tell me with the first possibility, but as I have a running refresh now, I am happy 🙂

Best

hashtag_pete

hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @lbendlin , 

thanks for your answer. 

I have set this up (see screenshot), however I am not able to repeat this for "extensionDataSourceKind" (I don't even know where this name is coming from, I am using the normal Business Central (on prem) connector)

Gatewaycluster.png

Now the thing is: in the first screenshot, where the BC on prem is the only source, even though it's not added to the gateway, it still allows to refresh and automatically the "admin has granted access..." information shows. 

when combined with the SQL, this information doesn't show up. When I want to manually add the credentials, I receive the following error:

Request failed: The remote name could not be resolved: 'dc...'

Here's a little nugget:  If you combine an on-prem data source with a cloud data source in Power Query then they both need to be added to the gateway. If you keep them separate in Power Query and join them in the data model then you can get away with not having to do that.

Hello @lbendlin 

I'm not quite sure what you mean: I have the below two tables. They are not joined in Power Query and (as it is just a sample) not even in Power BI Desktop. Just pulled into the dataset and done.

Table view.png

When combined, however, the connection fails for the oData connector, 

Please clarify what your issue is.

Hello @lbendlin 
sorry for being so unprecise, it's hard for me to grab...

In this scenario, I have just one data source, being Business Central (on prem), and I can auto-refresh my data just fine. I need to toggle the Gateway on, and then no further steps (it has the little red cross, but nevertheless, I can access the source and don't need to enter further credentials)

connection oData.png

in the scenario where I need help, I have exactly the same data source as above, plus a SQL Server data source. Now suddenly I am asked for credentials, and when I enter them it says "the remote server can not be resolved". Thus, I can not auto refresh the two sources

connection oData+sql.png

I assume you have a Pro license - you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Hi @hashtag_pete 

>> Request failed: The remote name could not be resolved: 'dc...'

Please refer to  Reports fail with error: "The remote name could not be resolved: 'kserver'" – Kaseya

vxiaotang_0-1670838578257.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-xiaotang 
I have replaced the server name by the server IP address but the result is the same...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I don't see where this "works well" - looks like you haven't added the D365 connection to your gateway yet ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors