Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway failing on Take over

Hi,

I have an issue at a client, where the on-prem gateway has an unexpected behavior on take over.

When I go to Schedule Refresh on a specific data set I can switch the gateway to "on" and select it and then it is active and refresh can be set up, but when my client's DBA (he is too a gateway admin) takes over the gateway settings, he gets the following error when trying to configure refresh:

gateway.gif

If I then retake control, it starts to work again. The model is not new, but we only started experiencing this during this month (June 2018). Yesterday we updated to the June 2018 version of the gateway, which did not resolve this.

Any idea what I am missing here?

/Rasmus 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Although you are both admins, are both of you also set up as Users on the data source? It could be that you created the datasource and were added as a user automatically, but he is not. Therfore if he takes over the data source on the report level, PBI would not recognize that he could use the data source because he was not an approved user set up on the gateway datasource itself.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sam111

sgerger gerer g

@Anonymous Although you are both admins, are both of you also set up as Users on the data source? It could be that you created the datasource and were added as a user automatically, but he is not. Therfore if he takes over the data source on the report level, PBI would not recognize that he could use the data source because he was not an approved user set up on the gateway datasource itself.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a situation where a member of the client security team is the gateway admin and we don't want them to be a member at the data source level.   Once the handover occurs from me to the client, how can we ensure that the refresh doesn't break without the client security team member being listed at the data source level?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Although he was an Admin on the Gateway, he was not added as User on all sources. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors