Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway failed refresh invalid credentials - Web source for SharePoint on-premise

I have at least 3 of these different datasets that are setup in the gateway and they seem to not be able to connect to the web page (SharePoint URL - on-premise - this one specific is form library). Initially during the setup of the gateway, the connection is established and it seems to work upon the setup. Keep in mind these are web data types. 

The Power BI report is published using the same type of data type connection as per the gateway setup, web data type. Then, when trying to refresh the dataset the refresh always fails. I haven't been able to find a work around for this issue. 

Here are a couple of blurbs from the verbose logging...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GatewayPipelineErrorCode=DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError
GatewayVersion=
InnerType=MashupCredentialException

InnerMessage=<pi>The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at http://xxxxxxxxxxx.com/LeadershipToolbox/IDP/Forms/All%20Documents.aspx.)</pi>
InnerToString=<pi>Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCredentialException (0x80004005): The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at http://xxxxxxxxxxx.com/LeadershipToolbox/IDP/Forms/All%20Documents.aspx.)

GatewayPipelineErrorCode=DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidConnectionCredentials
GatewayVersion=14.16.6830.1
Reason=<pi>CredentialInvalid</pi>
DataSource=<pi><pi>Web/http://hr.sp.us.tel.com/LeadershipToolbox/IDP/Forms/All%20Documents.aspx</pi></pi>
DataSourceReference=
DataSourceOrigin=
DataSourceReferenceOrigin= --->
[1]Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.GatewayPipelineWrapperException: Substituted: MashupCredentialException:<pi>Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCredentialException (0x80004005): The credentials provided cannot be used for the Web source. (Source at http://xxxxxxxxxxx.com/LeadershipToolbox/IDP/Forms/All%20Documents.aspx.)

I was wondering if somehow the windows account we are using for authentication needs to have on the SharePoint site, site level read persmission to resolve this issue. I have asked the SharePoint Site collection admin to grant our Windows Service Account access for the Power BI report. However, I don't have solid evidence this is needed or will fix the issue.

Also, I am running the October release, most current, Power BI Gateway Service at the moment. Our environment has a single server Enterprise Gateway setup.

Any help or ideas  is most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Richard

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi richardlhughes,

Try using data gateway(personal mode) instead of on-premises data gateway and check if this issue will be solved.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your reply.

We don't allow personal gateways in our enterprise. Are you just suggesting I test this for Microsoft to determine if the Enterprise Data Gateway has something wrong?

What would I achieve in doing this kind of test?

Thanks,
Richard

henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@Anonymous Hello, all errors are about Invalid Credentials, have you setup up the credentials into app.powerbi.com  too?

I Must set it on app.powerbi.com 

take a look: 

Go to Setting > Gateways 

You will se your gateway name, and insert your credentials there.

erro.PNG

Let me know if it help you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am most certain the creditials are setup correctly. 

LeadershipToolboxgateway.png

Let me know if I am missing something from the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors