Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway connection to Oracle server Error

We have a data gateway setup that connects to a SQL server and an Oracle server. We installed the Oracle client (12102 version). Didn't do an ODAC install, it's just the client. Everything connects successfully. I setup a refresh schedule. Here's my issue: sometimes it runs and refreshes successfully, and sometimes it fails (about half the time). What would cause this? I need to figure out if it's network connectivity issues or truly something with the client. The error message is below.

Note: I have a couple of times run into a refresh failure in Power BI Desktop, and it said it couldn't connect to the Oracle server. 5 minutes later I hit refresh again and it refreshed fine.

Error Message: 

Underlying error code:-2147467259 Table: TLSOpenOrders.
Underlying error message:The provider being used is deprecated: 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.'. Please visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=272376 to install the official provider.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error
Cluster URI:WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:6af7eccc-1edc-4980-823d-9c1b21476549
Request ID:507e5e01-6c3f-43d6-befa-821176e65b24
Time:2018-12-03 20:39:29Z
3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest following my blog post to ensure that it is setup successfully.
https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/04/26/power-bi-on-premise-gateway-configuration-steps-to-an-oracle-data...

I have had it working well in the past.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done this and there are still random failures that happened. As I said, it does sometimes complete successfully. Could it be just an issue with the server connectivity?

Hi there

If that is the case I would suspect connectivity issues to the Oracle server. If possible to chat to your network Admin?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors