Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsmccall33
Helper II
Helper II

Gateway connection lists old unused data sources for pbix; can't connect to gateway

I created a PBIX on my laptop with data sources pointing to files on my machine.  I have since moved the PBIX to a server along with the files.  In the PBIX, I updated the data sources to reflect the new file location.

I then published the report to Power BI service for the first time and attempted to connect it to the gateway.  It shows, in red, "Not configured correctly."  So for each file, I created a new data source successfully.  

The problem though is, this list of data sources included in this dataset also lists the three old data sources from when the PBIX lived on my machine.  I want to exlude these from this gateway but am unable to do so and this prevents me from connecting to the gateway. 

Power BI Desktop v March 2019

On-premises Data Gateway v 3000.2.52 (2019-03-21)

7 REPLIES 7
Johnny_Ka

Hello,

I have the same issue, I still see my old sources in Power BI Service.

Do you have a solution please ?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @rsmccall33 ,

I think you need to download these published reports and update their connection string(point to new data sources) and re-publish to power bi service. 

After these steps, you can remove old data sources on gateway datasource list if they haven't required by other report.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-shex-msft 

Before I ever published this report, I had changed the data sources to the correct location.  I then published the report.

However, the gateway datasources list 6 sources, when there should only be 3.  It lists the 3 new (correct) sources, and the 3 old (incorrect) sources. 

I downloaded the dataset and went to Edit Queries and verified they are pointed to the 3 correct data sources.  I opened Advanced Editor as well and verified it's looking at the correct location.

HI @rsmccall33 ,

How did you change the datasource? Can you please share some detail steps? Have you try to direct remove old datasource and add the new sources?

In addition, I'd like to suggest you modify datasource after re-publish report.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I changed the data source from within the PBIX file using Power BI Desktop - Edit Queries - Data Source Settings

HI @rsmccall33 ,

It sounds like cache issue, if you delete old report on service side and re-publish new report, did this issue appears again?

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

I had deleted the datasets and republished a few times, and the issue remained.  I gave up for a few days, checked on it, and it was fine...  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors