Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway access problem even while configured properly.

Hi

Made a report with live connection to SSAS tabular model using my adm account.

Published it, checked that Gateway connection is on, mapped and configured correctly and running. Under Manage gateways checked the data source settings and username, password (adm account i created the report with that has access to the Analysis services ) to be correct and if under users I have added everyone who needs access and all good. Now when I open the report I get error:

Cannot load model

Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.Show technical details

Underlying error code-1055391743
Underlying error messageEither the user, 'DOMAIN\IFSA5215521', does not have access to the 'Statistics model' database, or the database does not exist

I am logged in to app.powerbi.com with my normal account and this account is listed under users in manage gateways but it seems to be saying that my computer has no access. I have created other reports with live connection to SSAS models using gateway without any problems until now.. Why does it want access from my computer not my user?

I log into my account with the same regular account on this "DOMAIN\IFSA5215521" computer.

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Just checking but can you access that tabular model in SQL Server Management Studio with the account ID listed?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can access that tabular model in SSMS with my adm account, not regular account. Under "Manage Gateways" picked the correct connection and under Data Source Settings in "username" and "password" I used my adm accounts info.

@Anonymous - Maybe something related to this?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/impersonation-ssas-tabular?view=asallproducts-allversions

What level is your SSAS at? 1500 + ?

Wait:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about

Security rules are defined in the underlying source When the data is imported, Power BI connects to the data source using the current user's credentials from Power BI Desktop, or the credentials defined as part of configuring scheduled refresh from the Power BI service. In publishing and sharing such a report, be careful to only share with users allowed to see the same data, or to define row-level security as part of the dataset.

Ideally, because DirectQuery always queries the underlying source, this configuration would allow any security in that underlying source to be applied. However, currently Power BI always connects to the underlying source using the same credentials as would be used for import.

Until Power BI allows for the identity of the report consumer to pass through to the underlying source, DirectQuery offers no advantages for data source security.

Latest book!:

@Anonymous Trying to remember if there is a setting on the data connection for like user impersonation or something like that, where it passes your ID through. I need to research it but I think it is going to pass your id through the gateway to access the data but need to be certain. 

Otherwise, You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors