Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wabash_reporter

Gateway - Unable to Configure SQL Analysis VIA HTTP Data Pump

When publishing a Report from PowerBI Desktop with a WORKING datasource direct (aka IMPORT as Live is greyed out) connection to HTTPS://Server/msmdpump.DLL to PowerBI online, the Gateway Datasource Configuration is Missing in PowerBI online  even though there is a working exact same OLE DB DataSource in the Gateway.

I am unable to CONFIGURE the Gateway to use the SAME working Datasource listed in the Gateway even though the data source is listed in the Gateway with no errors. I am assuming because the Datasource was OLEDB but PowerBI changes it to Analysis Services when it looks at the gateway to match the connection strings, the OLE DB wont match? 

[I had created the same data source as OLE DB in both Desktop and in the Gateway- though I dont even want to use the gateway at all] 

This pic is redacted but shows the Working Local Data Source in PBI Dekstop (no Gateway). The Gateway doesnot see this connect and I cannot compare the two connection strings to know they are 100% the same. Also the Gateway then tries to add a new Analysis Services connection when in fact it should be an OLE DB for the HTTPS Data pump to work..

1.png

Here is the pic for the PowerBI online (Gateway below this image)

2.png3.png 

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Be careful not to mix concepts here.

Assuming your Analysis Server is on-premises you will definitely need a gateway.  The connection details must match exactly between dataset and gateway.

Right. thanks. 

Analysis Services is not on premises. It is out on the internet. Which is why the connection string is using HTTPS:// for the data pump

When creating the OLE DB connection in Desktop Power BI,  then internally Power BI seems to change the connection string from an OLE DB connection to AnalysisServices().... instead... which breaks when trying to publish and refresh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors