Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NeroTolentino
Frequent Visitor

Gateway Setup | Duplicate Data Source Error

Hello PBI Community,

I am new with Power BI and have come across this gateway/duplicate data source issue.

Here's the scenario

1. I have setup an ODBC connection, setup a scheduled refresh for my PBI reports which was working perfectly.

2. I used the same ODBC connection to create another report (using another table within the source), I got the below error.

Gateway Error 2.PNG

Gateway Error.PNG

I already used the same connection for 3 of my other reports, so I am surprised that I am getting this error.

Here are the solutions I tried:

1. Updated PBI desktop. (as of Apr. 3, 2019)

2. Updated Gateway. (as of Apr. 1, 2019)

3. Tried to setup the same ODBC connection using another name, I got the duplicate data source error.

3. Removed and reconfigured the ODBC source. (since I did this, my previous reports which was working perfectly have been affected).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nero Tolentino

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@NeroTolentino ,

As the error message mentioned, this issue should be caused by incorrect configuration or invalid connection string. If this issue still persists after self-troubleshooting. I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@NeroTolentino ,

As the error message mentioned, this issue should be caused by incorrect configuration or invalid connection string. If this issue still persists after self-troubleshooting. I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@NeroTolentino My initial guess is that it is a different issue, this page here is really helpful for troubleshooting gateway issues - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot

Specifically, take a look at the log files for that time, there are typically much more detailed descriptions in there. The Service has gotten much better at error messages, but I don't think they've caught everything.

Check on the server where the gateway is installed for the file here - > C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\Gateway*.log

And look at the time frame of the error.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors