Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wbhite
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway Service - Same SQL Server, multiple databases

Hello all,

I've searched the forums for an answer to my question, but so far everything seems vague.  Here's my issue:

• I have a single SQL Server with multiple databases
  • I currently have the Power BI Gateway Service (Enterprise) installed on the SQL Server, configured as a data source pointing to a single database (this works fine for reports that use that database)
  • I now need to reach other databases on that SQL Server via the PBIGWS, but I don't see how to enable more databases

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
healthEteam
Resolver I
Resolver I

On the power bi service you need to click on the gear icon in the top right and navigate to "Manage Gateways".

If you already have a sql server setup then you should have a gateway cluster that could be named as the server.

In the cluster you can have multiple Data Sources.

From my experience each database on the same machine will be setup as a separate datasource (regardless of how many reports may be using the dataset).

So you need to Add a datasource, configure the settings appropriately (same name for the Server, but different database name).

The most important part is that the naming that you do in the datasource configuration has to match up exactly to what you have used in your connection string in Power Bi Desktop.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
healthEteam
Resolver I
Resolver I

On the power bi service you need to click on the gear icon in the top right and navigate to "Manage Gateways".

If you already have a sql server setup then you should have a gateway cluster that could be named as the server.

In the cluster you can have multiple Data Sources.

From my experience each database on the same machine will be setup as a separate datasource (regardless of how many reports may be using the dataset).

So you need to Add a datasource, configure the settings appropriately (same name for the Server, but different database name).

The most important part is that the naming that you do in the datasource configuration has to match up exactly to what you have used in your connection string in Power Bi Desktop.

Hope that helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors