Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Panic0815

Gateway Service Account Identity

Hi guys,

I would need to know with which user my gateway is now really running?
Background:
The gateway was setup and configured with my organization account.
Now the gateway tells me (and thats what I also understand from documentation) that it is running as NT Service\PBIEgwService.
Which Account is now really grabbing the Data from the SQL?
My concern is data privacy and therefore we want to change it, if it really is running wiht my organization account.
If it is really running under the PBIEgwService Account everythings fine... i guess....

PS: I already tried changing the account to an service account but it keeps telling me that Username or Password is wrong (even tho I tried the account and it works fine in Office365 and Windows)

BR
Panic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Panic0815,

If you can work with the sql data source, you can try to use sql profiler to trace these request from power bi to find out the detail contents:

SQL Server Profiler 

BTW, normally power bi will use the credentials which configured on gateway Datasource settings if you did not enable the UPN for SSO on your data source.

Manage your data source - Analysis Services#User names with Analysis Services 

Overview of single sign-on (SSO) for gateways in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Panic0815,

If you can work with the sql data source, you can try to use sql profiler to trace these request from power bi to find out the detail contents:

SQL Server Profiler 

BTW, normally power bi will use the credentials which configured on gateway Datasource settings if you did not enable the UPN for SSO on your data source.

Manage your data source - Analysis Services#User names with Analysis Services 

Overview of single sign-on (SSO) for gateways in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
sreenub
Resolver II
Resolver II

To now  which account is actually  grabbing  data from  the SQL, please check the below 

go to  Manage Gateways > Gateway Clusters  and select the Data Source under the Gateway and check the login credentials  used  to log into  SQL for the data source

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors