Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoPalacio

Gateway SAP BW

Hi All

I need your help....
We have been reviewing the Gateway subject with architecture and we have two questions that we need to make sure are clear so we can understand the complete concept and be able to proceed:

1. How does Power BI establish a secure connection with an intranet?

2. Is Gateway independently installed in a server inside the DMZ so that it can serve as a bridge between Power BI and SAP BW?

3. Is necesary install the RFC of SAP in the server tha we will install the Gateway? Or, What should we install on the server where we will install the gateway for the gateway establishes the connection to the data base SAP BW?
4. Wich kind of permissions must have the user of the conection on gateway configuration?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JoPalacio,

Firstly, for more details about Power BI security, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/ .

Secondly, yes, Power BI gateway acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between Power BI and SAP BW. And gateway should be installed on a computer that can be left running all the time and is connected to the Internet. For more details about requirements of installing Power BI gateway, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/ .

Thirdly, you don’t need to install RFC of SAP in the server that install gateway. Assume that you install and register on-premises gateway, you would need to sign in Power BI Service and add SAP data source under the registered gateway. There is an example for your reference, in the following screenshot, after you enter server name, system number and so on, it will establish the connection to SAP BW.
1.PNG

At last, for your fourth question, if you mean that let other users add data sources under registered on-premises gateway, you would  need to add users on the Administrators tab for the gateway, this way, users can administer the gateway.  For more details, please review this article.
datasourcesettings8.png

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
MrJannieSA

Hi @JoPalacio,

Although a solution was published, I have an alternative option that worked for me as I did not want to install the full SAP NetWeaver RFC

I copied the followings files from the SAP Folder into my "C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway" & restarted the server, gateway now creates data sources from the cloud like a charm.

icudt34.dll
icuin34.dll
icuuc34.dll
libicudecnumber.dll
libsapucum.dll
libsapucum.lib
sapdecfICUlib.lib
sapnwrfc.dll
sapnwrfc.lib

This also works for Power BI Desktop, copy these files into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin"

Hope this can help someone out.

Cheers,

Hi mrJannieSa,

where did you get those libraries?

Thanks

Hi MrJannieSA,

where can i find those libraries?

Thanks

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JoPalacio,

Firstly, for more details about Power BI security, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/ .

Secondly, yes, Power BI gateway acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between Power BI and SAP BW. And gateway should be installed on a computer that can be left running all the time and is connected to the Internet. For more details about requirements of installing Power BI gateway, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/ .

Thirdly, you don’t need to install RFC of SAP in the server that install gateway. Assume that you install and register on-premises gateway, you would need to sign in Power BI Service and add SAP data source under the registered gateway. There is an example for your reference, in the following screenshot, after you enter server name, system number and so on, it will establish the connection to SAP BW.
1.PNG

At last, for your fourth question, if you mean that let other users add data sources under registered on-premises gateway, you would  need to add users on the Administrators tab for the gateway, this way, users can administer the gateway.  For more details, please review this article.
datasourcesettings8.png

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, we were not able to connect to the data sources in SAP whitout the Connector that is used for Desktop connection. Please could you confirm whether this connectors are or are not necesary for the standard gateway implementation ir order to connect to the data sources on premise from Power Bi Service? thank you.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft @JoPalacio

I think you do need to install the SAP Netweaver RFC on the server - this caused an issue when trying to set up a Data Source in the gateway explicity stating that SAP client tools needed to be installed.

GatewayIssue.JPG

Installing the relevant files resolved this issue.

Thanks,

Doug

Could you please clarify which librabries and were did you installed?

Hi MindaugasM,

It was installed on the PowerBI Gateway server and it worked for us.

We have followed the same procedure as the desktop one (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-sap-bw-connector).   

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shailaja

snaik
Frequent Visitor

Hi Doug,

We are also getting the same error when trying to register the SAP BW data source on the PowerBI gateway.  Can you please tell me which server you have installed the RFC? Our BW is has it all. My desktop I have a BW connector installed and I am able to connect SAP BW from my PowerBI Desktop. However, I cannot connect SAP BW from the PowerBI service.  This is the first time we are trying to establish a connection between SAP BW and PowerBI, we are not able to figure out where is the problem and what is missing where. The error does not exactly specify or I am not able to understand.  

Thank you for your help. 

Shailaja 

Hi Doug,

I received the same kind of error when trying to create new datasource in the enterprise gateway as an admin with SAP HANA (Data source type):

Error Code: DM_GWPipleline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError

Underlying error code: -2147467259
[SAP AG][LIBODBCHDB DLL][HDBODBC]
Underlying error message: Communication link failure;- 10709
Connect failed (no reachable host left)

Do you have any idea for this kind of error code.

Thank you

Thanks a lot!

Solved! 🙂

HI Jo,

can u share what need to be done on basis site? any new sm59 entry need to be created?

do we need to activate the snc?.

Thanx.

xoxo

Hi,

Is it a personal or enterprise gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors