Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway Refresh Redshift - DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError

Connections/refreshes for a read-only user via Power BI Desktop have been working for months. Now, trying to set up the scheduled refreshes, I run into the error below (in screen shot). Each time a manual or scheduled refresh occurs, it fails on a different table in the data source. We are connecting to a AWS Redshift instance through a Gateway. This is what has been done so far:
- Cleared the caches

- Reset all permissions in Desktop and re-entered credentials

- Confirmed that Privacy Level is set the same (Encrypted, Organizational) on the data source via the Service Data Source settings and via Desktop

- Not only does it work in Desktop to build and refresh these Redshift tables, but I can take the same user and do select queries via other tooling as well

If this was truly a permissions issue, I would expect to see it everywhere. Are there some other Gateway settings or configuration that might be missing?

TIA,

-A 

power_bi_gateway_refresh_error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

After some trial and error, we ended up creating a separate ODBC connection to the Aurora instance that held some tables we accessed through an external schema within our Redshift instance. I did testing with only the Redshift tables with no issues refreshing through the gateway. Once I introduced even one table from the external Aurora schema, the refreshes started to fail. Unsure of what the actual root cause is, but the workaround is solid.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't explain why this was working but now isn't but I have just revolved an issue generating the same underlying error code as the one you are seeing. In my case a query was merging on-premise SQL DB and Sharepoint online. Raised a ticket with Microsoft support and the only resolution tha tworked was to copy the SQL data through the gateway using a PBI Dataflow and then consume the Dataflow from the Power BI report.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

After some trial and error, we ended up creating a separate ODBC connection to the Aurora instance that held some tables we accessed through an external schema within our Redshift instance. I did testing with only the Redshift tables with no issues refreshing through the gateway. Once I introduced even one table from the external Aurora schema, the refreshes started to fail. Unsure of what the actual root cause is, but the workaround is solid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I'm not merging anything. Doing an import of less than 10 tables/views from Redshift, and doing a little bit of transformation on them (removing some columns, changing case, etc). The only thing that is a little different is that there is 1 view and 1 table that are aliases inside that instance that come from Aurora. However, when the refreshes fail, they also randomly fail on tables that are coming directly from Redshift. I might create a simple report and import only 1 Redshift table and give that a try just to rule that out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors