Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AmritaOS
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway Queries

Hi All,

We are moving to Power BI in my organisation and i have a few queries on Gateways. the data source is primirally a SQL database in AWS, and excel files in sharepoint.

i have currently downloaded a personal gateway on my laptop (i use a VPN to connect to the database) and as long as my laptop is on and teh VPN is connected, the scheduled refreshes in the service work great. this however is not a long term solution.

1- can a gateway only be installed on an on premise server or can it be installed on a server in AWS? all the microsoft docs refer to an on premise gateway?

2- can the gateway be installed on a local on premise always on server and as long as the server has access to the database and i have access to the gateway the scheduled refreshes will work?

3- once a gateway is installed on teh always on server, how to i get access to it on my laptop?

thanks,

Amrita

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Welcome to Power Bi 🙂 

1 and 2. On premise data gateway is just a name to specify that the gateway is a windows client installer that need a windows environment. You can install it anywhere with windows (local, virtual or cloud vm). If your data is in AWS I would recommend installing the gateway in an EC2 with visibility of the data.

3. The gateway is just a bridge between your data and power bi cloud service. Once you installed it will ask you for a Power Bi account. That's all the configuration for that VM. The next steps are configured in the web portal. You can do it from any PC. When that account is logged in there is an option in the settings menu called "Manage Gateways". There you can configure the server name, credentials, etc in order to allow schedule refreshes.

Here you can check the configuration for a source from scratch: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Welcome to Power Bi 🙂 

1 and 2. On premise data gateway is just a name to specify that the gateway is a windows client installer that need a windows environment. You can install it anywhere with windows (local, virtual or cloud vm). If your data is in AWS I would recommend installing the gateway in an EC2 with visibility of the data.

3. The gateway is just a bridge between your data and power bi cloud service. Once you installed it will ask you for a Power Bi account. That's all the configuration for that VM. The next steps are configured in the web portal. You can do it from any PC. When that account is logged in there is an option in the settings menu called "Manage Gateways". There you can configure the server name, credentials, etc in order to allow schedule refreshes.

Here you can check the configuration for a source from scratch: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

thank you this is perfect and helps clarify the gateway requirements for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors