Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Gateway Offline Error

For the past few weeks my  BI reports fail to refresh on Friday's with the error message stating that my Gateway is Offline.
I had my company's IT department investigate and they do not see an issue.  Also when I check it appears that the Gateways are all Online even as I received this messages.
Anyone experience this issue lately and find a solution?  Its strange that this seems to happen every Friday morning.

16 REPLIES 16
IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I am continuing to receive the Gateway Offline error mesage on random days.  Strangely, the all BI reports will refresh as expected daily and then the following day none will refresh due to Gateway Offline.
I checked the status of my company's gateway and they all state gateway is online.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Perhaps I need to create a ticket with Microsoft? 

Hi, @IamTDR 

This problem should occur in pbi service instead of report server, right? We need more information to judge.

How do you set up schedule refresh? 

After receiving the error that the gateway is offline, all reports will not be refreshed, right? 

Is your company's gateway open 24 hours? 

Is your gateway updated to the latest version? Is it running normally?

Can you share the refresh history of the report? 

Refresh summaries for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

I am the admin for @IamTDR  company.
1. The error is showing in the PBI web interface,  Everything on the gateway server looks fine

2. @IamTDR  will need to confirm, but I believe the refresh is scheduled in powerbi somehow.

3. Some reports refresh while others fail within the same timeframe.  

4. The gateway is closed overnight but these refreshes are not occuring during that down time.

5. The gateway is on the latest version

6.  @IamTDR will need to provide those

Initially, the MS tech was looking at the network ports test on the gateway where like 6 of the 23 ports were failing for some unknown reason (we do not block outgoing ports on the firewall, and the ports that failed changed on each test).  I disabled HTTPS mode and now all ports are reporting as open.  

My suspicion is that the gateway (or the DB it connects to) is getting overwhelmed at times.  I do see CPU spikes nearing 100% on the gateway while refreshes are running, but I can't find an exact coorelation as it does this when refreshes work as well.  The DB server resources do not seem to be abnormally taxed.  

@IamTDR @bmaull 

If there are multiple refreshes in the same time period, some reports may fail to refresh. 

vjaneygmsft_0-1632965329892.png

You can check the document to understand:how-capacities-function 

Issues in this aspect really need to be further understood and eliminated before they can be judged. I'm glad your problems can be found and solved by Microsoft.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  All the reports do not run at the same time.  There are multiple reports spread out over a 4 hour window.  But report A runs at the same time every day.  Report B runs at a different time from report A but at the same time every day.  Though I do think it is likely some of these reports are overlapping and it is a capacity issue.  That said, wouldn't that throw an error other than "gateway not available"? 

@bmaull  The refresh time set may not refresh on time, and there may be a delay.

Sorry, I don’t know the progress between you and Microsoft support.

Has the problem not been solved yet?
What's the situation now? Can you provide a screenshot of the error?

vjaneygmsft_0-1633051263477.png

Janey

Image.png

Above is a image of the type of error we were receiving as of 9/30/21.  For the last two days, reports have refreshed on schedule as expected.

@IamTDR   

What did Microsoft say, is it resolved?
From your error message, everything is okay. It is more likely that you did not keep the gateway online or disconnected when refreshing, because on demand refreshing is also normal.

I noticed that it is quite early when you refresh, are you sure that the gateway is always online at this point in time?

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

The scheduled refreshes have worked as expected the past couple of days.  Still monitoring to see if they fail again.

The scheduled refresh times have been set up this way for over 3-4 years now.  THe problem was a recent one.

@IamTDR 

Okay, hope everything is normal.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

2. In regards to scheduling BI reports to refresh, this is done on the Power BI service.  I schedule reports at different time points in attempt to prevent bottlenecks.
6.  Refresh history has been shared to with Microsoft.

I opened a ticket with Microsoft and I am awaiting to work with someone on this issue. Will report back if this issue gets resolved. 

goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @IamTDR ! I have had a similar problem last month with two different customers. In the first case, the server was hosted in a Azure VM that, for cost reduction reasons, was shut down everyday at 7pm and rebooted at 8am and I had scheduled updated for hours when the VM was turned off which of course gave an error. The second one was because another software, namely Microsoft Dynamics NAV, had a few scheduled refreshes at the same time as PBI and the database could not handle both processes at the same time and prioritized NAV and cancelled the PBI refresh. I do not know if any of the case apply to you but I hope it may help you in some way!

Hope this answer solves your problem! If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️ or give it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

I am the admin that works with @IamTDR 

I suspect our issue might be similar to the second issue you mentioned.  Is there something specific I should look for in the SQL or gateway logs that might confirm this?  The weird thing is that these reports are all scheduled to refresh at the same time every day and some days it works and some days it does not.  And there doesn't seem to be any real pattern to it that I can spot.  

Thanks for the quick reply.  I do not believe these are the cause for my Gateway issue but I will pass this message along to my IT Department. Thanks again

Does anyone have a solution to it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors