Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway Not Working

Hmm not sure where to start with this tool, few days ago i created a report and downloaded the data gateway as mentioned in the documents. I could share my workspace and all was fine. I tried to create anothe report using SSAS which i could using the desktop, now starts the issue (s). I tried to publish and i get the following error "publishing succeeded, but the published report cant connect to the data source  because we were unable to find a gateway. Please install and configure an enterprise gateway. (Existing Analysis Services connectors will continue to work).

The first report that i created and published is an online query (now that is failing as well with the same error).

Do i need to create a new gateway every time i create a report ? Smiley Mad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

You should be able to remove the Gateway from the Control Panel, then Add/Remove programs.

Only once it is uninstalled, restart the server and then look to remove the folder.

Once that is done try and install it again?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You would need to create a data source connection to every data source that you connect to.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

N

one of gateway instances within this cluster are connected. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance.Hide details

Activity ID:23b2259b-9dbd-49e4-a72b-1d0f0af3acdd
Request ID:1ddbf0be-6606-fb18-ff58-bf908eb614a8
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-central-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code: 
Time:Wed Apr 17 2019 09:20:44 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version:13.0.9115.138
dw-Gateway:There was an error in the data gateway.

Hi there

What I would suggest is first making sure you got the Recovery key which would have been done during the Gateway Installation.

Then uninstall the Gateway and re-install.
When installing put in the Recovery Key.
Once that is done make sure that you can see it in the Power BI Service.

Next make sure the names of your data sources are the same across your Power BI Desktop files. This is to ensure that they all will find the same datasource?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your time. Unfortunately i think you didnt get my issue. I cannot uninstall or reinstall power bi service. I have the key, but for me to use it i need to be able to install the existing service right? please see my erro rmessages above.

Hi there

When you talk about Service do you mean the On-Premise Data Gateway Service?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes. I cannot uinstall the service., when i tried to delete the folder i get a message that the folder is used by some program. very disappointed. Is there a 1800 number for help? And since its been only a couple of months we got license will MS help us cancel this entire tool setup including office 365 as we purchased it because of power bi service.

Hi there,

You should be able to remove the Gateway from the Control Panel, then Add/Remove programs.

Only once it is uninstalled, restart the server and then look to remove the folder.

Once that is done try and install it again?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already did everything mentioned in the link and i get the following error

"The on-premises data gateway installation failed. You ar etrying to reinstall a version already installed on the machine. If you would like to procees, please uninstall the current version and reinitiate the install. 

OMG never should have bought this w/o testing it for a while. Really disappointed .

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks GilbertQ , let me explain it again. I have created a dataset and have reports and dashboards workingfine without any issues. Yesterday i created another report using desktop and this reports data source is a SSAS cube. When i tried to publish it it gave me the above error message. Now my older reports are having the same issue, how are they connected and why would all my od repots and dashboards fail doesnt make sense. My old reports use online query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors