Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerPro
Frequent Visitor

Gateway Accounts

Hi All,

need clarification on accounts which are used by gateway during setup/configure and later.

one account is used in service, another one is computer account (machine login )

have seen in past as and when accounts are changed diff -2 issues comes.

is there any detailed documentation / white paper on usage of these accounts/premission requirement of these account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PowerPro ,

By my research, I'm afraid that there is no other more official document about gateway account. 

By default, the gateway runs under the NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService Windows service account. However, as shown in the following image from the On-premises data gateway desktop application, this account can be changed via the Service Settings tab:

gateway.PNG

In addition, you could use the account which you log in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @PowerPro ,

It seems that you have concern of the power bi gateway account when you configure it.

Based on this document, it has beem listed the details about the account.

Users sign in with either a work or school account. This account is your organization account. If you signed up for an Office 365 offering and didn’t supply your actual work email, it may look like nancy@contoso.onmicrosoft.com. Your account is stored within a tenant in Azure Active Directory (AAD). In most cases, your AAD account’s UPN will match the email address.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

Documentation has very basic information about these 2 accounts.
have gone through all link in documentation.

i do have clarity on service account and AAD account.. but need more deep information on same.

may be some kind of whitepaper or internal documentaion.

In my company internet access is via proxy, this is the reason need more information on these accounts in respect to kind of permission needed, internet access for which account etc..

Hi @PowerPro ,

By my research, I'm afraid that there is no other more official document about gateway account. 

By default, the gateway runs under the NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService Windows service account. However, as shown in the following image from the On-premises data gateway desktop application, this account can be changed via the Service Settings tab:

gateway.PNG

In addition, you could use the account which you log in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors