Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasElkem
Frequent Visitor

Gateaway timeout error

Hello,

I have 1 report connected to an SQL Azure database.

I can refresh it without problem from the desktop version (about 2min).

This report is published into a workspace. Until recently it was refreshed automatically via a gateway.

But it's not working anymore. I hget this timeout error message.

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: Chaman PM
WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-D-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
53ae02a3-f23d-4126-8316-40c364a25ea6
22a40024-b05e-8420-7974-f2e18f0f0489
2021-04-15 17:22:29Z

We checked the gateway. It connects withtour problem to the server, and I can schedule my refresh online on the datset.

Credentials used are the same that in the desktop version where the refresh works.

Firewall rules have been checked too. No blocked flows.

It seems that the gateway is accessing the database but then is not able to get the data. 

After 5 ou 6 hours it stopped with a timeout.

Any help or idea would be highly appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It sounds like a big query. Let's talk about some things.

The first thing you should know is that Power Bi sets default timeouts for conection and command. If the timing is higher than those the error is shown. You can change those values in the Source Step of the table in the "Transform Data" menu with Power Query. You can read about those parameters here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/sql-database

If you are using a Power Bi Pro or Free license you should know that the Power Bi Service won't handle any query with a command running more than 2 hours. The refresh will automatically fail even though the Desktop works the Cloud Service won't. So I won't recommend using more than 2 hours in the commandTimeout.

I suggest analyzing the queries and make them faster somehow (indexing, retriving lesss columns or rows, etc)

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hello Ibarrau,

Thanks for your reply,

I already looked at timeout parameters.

But as I said, there shouldn't be any timeout.

The report is refreshed in 2min when running local via powerbi desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors