Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

udian
Helper III
Helper III

GateWay Permissions Issue

Hi,

We have a tabular model in our organization. i added roles on the cube level in order to mange the cube permissions for users that connect to the cube using excel. 

Recently we started to enable access to the cube from power bi in order for users to be able to bulit reports and dasboards based on the cube. The connection from power bi to the cube is live connection. I also installed the on premise gateway, defined the cube data source and added the relevant users.

As far as i understand, in order for a user to connect to the cube from power bi he need to have permissions in the cube roles and need to be in the gateway users list. 
What i don't understand is the behaviour in case that a user that have access to the cube (both role and gateway) builds and shares a dashboard with a user that has access to the cube at the role level but is not defined in the gateway, that user can still access the data in the dashboard. i would expect that if the user id not defined in the gateway he won't be able to access the dashboard.

Is this the expected behaviour or there is somthing wrong in my implementations?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@udian Adding a user to the gateway source does not effect the "read" of users who have access to the model. The only time a user is required to be on the gateway is when they need to publish a report to Power BI and connect to that gateway. Having them as a user allows them to see the gateway and use it for reports.

To say it differently. The permissions you've granted on the model will automatically work with the RLS setup when you share to a group of users that also have access to read the model. There is no need for additional configuration of those users in Power BI.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@udian Adding a user to the gateway source does not effect the "read" of users who have access to the model. The only time a user is required to be on the gateway is when they need to publish a report to Power BI and connect to that gateway. Having them as a user allows them to see the gateway and use it for reports.

To say it differently. The permissions you've granted on the model will automatically work with the RLS setup when you share to a group of users that also have access to read the model. There is no need for additional configuration of those users in Power BI.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you for clarifying! Now it makes much more sense 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors