Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Functionality to add AD-groups in On-Prem Data Gateway

Hello,

It's not possible to add AD-groups to data sources in the on-premise data gateway today. This is applied under the 'Users'-tab. This means adding users individually. It is possible to add O365 security groups but not AD-security groups. Is this expected behaviour or something MS plans to implement?

We have implemented a tabular model with row based security and we are using one AD-group per role. It's a live connection in Power BI. We would like to use the same users in our AD-groups without having to add each user individually. 

Best regards,

O

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, if we create a mail-enabled security group synced with Active Directory, we can add it under data source Users tab. See:

q5.PNGq6.PNGq7.PNG

In your scenario, please check if this group has Email address. If not, can you share more information or screenshots about it for our analysis?

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, if we create a mail-enabled security group synced with Active Directory, we can add it under data source Users tab. See:

q5.PNGq6.PNGq7.PNG

In your scenario, please check if this group has Email address. If not, can you share more information or screenshots about it for our analysis?

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft!

Sorry for late answer. I hadn't tought about syncing the on prem AD-group with the O365 mail group. Thank you! Going to test this now and I'll be back. 

Edit: Thank you. It worked. The answer was a bit unclear in this thread; https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9867741-active-directory-security...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors