Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Functionality of PBI Service = Functionality of PBI Desktop ?

Hi,

i would like to know if, generally speaking,  the functionalities of PBI Service are equal to the functionalities of PBI Desktop.

I must know this because i need to know if the users can only work with PBI Service.

Regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous,

1) Users will not be able to modify/add new calculated columns or measures in Service

2) They will not have a functionality to apply M, R, Python transformation on data as well

3) But whey will have only the ability to create new visuals or modify old ones based on a predefined dataset (by you)

4) And there is possible one trick from their side - go to Desktop, connect to Power BI Service dataset and make PBIX based on it and do other desktop activities. 

5) Additionally, they will be able to save Service report to PBIX or PPT file and print it as well.

6) Also, they can print a Service report directly from web browser.

In general, I don't think you can prevent modification of data load for new reports, creating of PBIX or printing to PDF.

Regards,
Ruslan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

1) No, in Power Service, users are not allowed to create measures, calculated columns and quick measures when creating reports. These funclities that you want are only supported by Power BI desktop.

2) No. M code can be modified only in Desktop, not supported in Service.

3) Yes. That's true.

4) Please refer to: Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

5) Printing from Power BI service

Export reports from Power BI to PowerPoint (Preview)

1.PNG

6) Only Global Admins in Office 365 or those account have been assigned the Power BI service administrator role can enable/disable these features on Admin Portal.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service have around 60% common features. 

For instance,

1. Most of all common sources are available to work within both applications. Additionally, in Power BI Service you can connect to streaming data. 

2. In PBI Service you can create a dashboard. And you can set up scheduled refresh.

3. In PBI Desktop you can trace performance issues using developer tools.

4. You are limited to a memory while refreshing. In PBI Desktop - your RAM, in PBI Service - your capacity's RAM.

Here is a good article regarding this topic - https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4139/compare-power-bi-desktop-vs-power-bi-online/

It depends on what you are referring to. Is it data connectivity? Visualization? Sharing? Refreshing? etc..

So please clarify what you are interested in?

Regards,
Ruslan

So 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @zoloturu,

the problem is that i need that my users can create columns and measures, so for these users in special i need to import data (while others stay connected on tabular model). My idea is to let them only work on PBI Service, and not on PBI Desktop, and prevent them from creating PBIx files and printing. But now my question is precisely what will the users lose if they only work on Service.

So, in terms of functionality, i'm thinking if they have all the access to development of reports.

Regards

@Anonymous,

1) Users will not be able to modify/add new calculated columns or measures in Service

2) They will not have a functionality to apply M, R, Python transformation on data as well

3) But whey will have only the ability to create new visuals or modify old ones based on a predefined dataset (by you)

4) And there is possible one trick from their side - go to Desktop, connect to Power BI Service dataset and make PBIX based on it and do other desktop activities. 

5) Additionally, they will be able to save Service report to PBIX or PPT file and print it as well.

In general, I don't think you can prevent modification of data load for new reports, creating of PBIX or printing to PDF.

Regards,
Ruslan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @zoloturu,
i'm a little confused with your comments. What i meant was, due to the limitations (not creating calculated columns) on live query, i would import data to these Pro users...
So...

With imported data we an create measures, calculated columns and quick measures, right?

If we import data we can apply M, right? The other 2 languages i don't know ...

Can you explain me a little more on PBI Service? Maybe my users can connect to PBI service datasets and create calculated columns.

From what i've read, we can prevent a user to print, export to PPT, and create PBIx files

printing to PDF is an option of PBI Desktop and we can't avoid it...

Thank you and regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @zoloturu,
i'm a little confused with your comments. What i meant was, due to the limitations (not creating calculated columns) on live query, i would import data to these Pro users...
So...

With imported data we an create measures, calculated columns and quick measures, right?

If we import data we can apply M, right? The other 2 languages i don't know ...

Can you explain me a little more on PBI Service? Maybe my users can connect to PBI service datasets and create calculated columns.

From what i've read, we can prevent a user to print, export to PPT, and create PBIx files

printing to PDF is an option of PBI Desktop and we can't avoid it...

Thank you and regards

Hi @Anonymous,

1) No, in Power Service, users are not allowed to create measures, calculated columns and quick measures when creating reports. These funclities that you want are only supported by Power BI desktop.

2) No. M code can be modified only in Desktop, not supported in Service.

3) Yes. That's true.

4) Please refer to: Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

5) Printing from Power BI service

Export reports from Power BI to PowerPoint (Preview)

1.PNG

6) Only Global Admins in Office 365 or those account have been assigned the Power BI service administrator role can enable/disable these features on Admin Portal.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors