Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

reinhardtalbert

Free users can't see report with RLS although workspace is Premium

I have a couple of reports which free users cannot see once shared. These reports sit in a Premium workspace, though all of them happen to have RLS applied.

Does RLS prevent free users to access a report sitting in a Premium workspace? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @reinhardtalbert

In order to use Free Users you have to let the users access the reports via an App which is on Premium Capacity.

Once that is confirmed the RLS should then work as expected via the App

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @reinhardtalbert

How do you share reports to the free users? also how do the free user consume the shared reports?

With Power BI Premium you can share content with the free users through the App Workspaces. The free users will consume content via the App Workspaces. The App Workspaces are published from the workspace and this is where the content is consumed.

Here are the methods regarding sharing.

http://radacad.com/ultimate-sharing-strategy-power-bi-apps

How do you confidure RLS? Are the free users prevented to access the dataset?

If they are  have RLS applied (not prevent to see all data), they can see the report.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @GilbertQ and @v-juanli-msft,

Thanks for the reply. I shared the report using that Share button (in which I then type the user's email).

• RLS: I think the RLS has been configured correctly. That user also belongs to a group.
  • Workspace: the workspace is confirmed in Premium capacity.

What the user saw is a pop up prompting her to Upgrade to Pro (i.e. "this content is only available to users with a Pro Power BI license.").

I will try to share with App, but this should not be an issue, should it? Is it a limitation of sharing not through App?

Thank you!

Hi @reinhardtalbert

In order to use Free Users you have to let the users access the reports via an App which is on Premium Capacity.

Once that is confirmed the RLS should then work as expected via the App

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Sharing through app works. Thanks!
But just for my education, why does sharing through the non-app way (using share button) fail?

Hi there

The way it is designed is that RLS and Free users is only supported currently when shared via the App experience. Any other type of sharing with dashboards or reports will invoke a Power BI Pro license to view the content.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @reinhardtalbert

What happens if you share the reports with them via the App?

Free users should be able to see the report, if they do not have the access all the visuals should show up with the cross in the visual.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors