Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting lost when exporting to excel

Hi All,

when I try to export data from a visual on the service my formatting is lost, so e.g. 96.07% becomes 0.9607...

This only happens if we have a measure added on a report that is live connected to AAS.

The measures created in AAS are fine, their formatting is intact, the same with measures that are created in the Import mode report

It also works fine when I export to CSV from the desktop file...

Did anyone one experience something similar? Or knows a workaround?

I know the best solution would be adding measures to the AAS but at this point it is not possible

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
jelledaems
Frequent Visitor

Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I am facing the exact same problem now. When I create a new measure in Power BI Desktop when using a live connection to an already published dataset, and I format it to Valuta for example and then use it in a Matrix or a table. Then I publish the report and on the web service I want to export to excel, then suddenly all my formatting on that measure is lost. Did you ever find a reason or workaround?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @collinq,

thanks for the link!

I had a look but I didn't find anything about losing formatting...

And the measures that are created in AAS retain the formatting, no matter the visual, so it has to be something other than just a visual limitation...

Just to add: I am exporting summarized data

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Hey @Anonymous ,

I am wondering if it is the Excel side of this or if it is the unicode that is being sent to Excel.  It might not be "fixable" but I did find this article (this one is a bit old but I think still applies).  https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2016/dec/how-to-turn-off-excel-auto-format.html   Does that help with the "format on import" part of this?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Anonymous ,

There actually are quite a few expected variances when you export to Excel.  And, some visuals don't export at all or not very well.  Take a look at this article about the limitations: Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors